Although temporarily remaining open for new threads and posts (following the very kind messages and emails), all Forum information, posts and threads will remain visible until 28th February 2021 after which point thesmartclub Forum service will close.  Links to thesmartclub and The smart Racing Club social media pages are available via thesmartclub.co.uk homepage.  In addition, you have full and free access to every issue of 4site smart Magazine via that same homepage facility.  

Our thanks to the 35,000+ users who Registered for our Forums services for the past 20 years - your registration details will be deleted in line with our Privacy Policy wef 28th February 2021.

For any questions, please see the Contact Us sections from thesmartclub.co.uk homepage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hello & Goodbye....

It's been many years since I was last of this forum as I've not owned a Smart car for many years now, but do remember with fondness the trips to Hambach and Zell am See as well as the London to Brighton runs and all the other things on the go around 15 years ago. Pictures below of my cars and a couple of trips.

Thought I'd just check in and say hello, as I've just today bought another Smart, this time an EQ as it suits my very short commute. Sad to see it looks like the club is being wrapped up. Looks like I managed to get in just in time to say hello again and final goodbye.

So if anyone on the forum knows where my cars ended up I'd be interested to here from you before the 23rd....

Mike
    Attached Images

Club Logo Re: Hello & Goodbye....

Hi Mike

Thanks for your message and yes, after more than 20 years (we launched June 2000), we'll eventually bring the 'smart curtain' down on thesmartclub later this quarter.

We'll have some formal communications in advance of that of course.

Indeed, I think back to our early London to Brighton runs in 2002 onwards, then Destination Brooklands and then The smart Festivals. Annual visits to Hambach and the smart factory, multiple smart times trips to a range of European locations, the only continuous, long running smart Magazine 4site and so much more.

From 40 Members at outset to a peak of over 35,000.

We were here before twitter, Facebook, Instagram and TikTok but time moves on and equally I'm not getting any younger!

The smart brand has seen many changes of direction. 450 to 451, the 452 (still iconic), the short lived 454 and then the 453 partnership. The cessation of petrol vehicles, the move to 100% electric drive, the 50% venture with China by Daimler, the change in the way people buy and own cars (how many people would panel swap a car on a 3 year PCP agreement now?!!).

We'll be keeping our Facebook and twitter operations alive, The smart Racing Club will continue and our entire back catalogue of 4site smart Magazine (from Issue 1) is being made available.

More comms later and best wishes meantime

Al

Al Young
    Chairman & Managing Director

Default Re: Hello & Goodbye....

Hi Al,

It's good to hear you're still at the helm of the ship, some great achievements over the years you must be very proud. I for one appreciate the work you have done and memories you have created for us and so many other people.

I remember the day I bought my first fortwo, I said to Helen, ...."I know it's only a little car, if we need to go on a long journey we can hire a car..". Turns out we didn't need to hire a car after all, ended up driving the smart on my longest ever single road trip to Austria for the European meet at Zell am see, what a trip that was.

Things do change and move on, and now with smart being 100% EV the likely hood of long road trips are looking very unlikely or risk becoming very long trips as people queue for the charging points..

I'll keep checking in until you close the site,

Cheers, Mike

Many thanks Mike and my personal thanks to you and Helen for all your support over the years.

Best wishes and stay safe

Al

Thank you all for your contributions over the years. They have been informative and entertaining. Also thank you for helping me in the early years with all problems encountered.
    Marcus.

I feel really sad about the demise of this forum. 149 people on line right now but they don't participate. I dont do facebook and all those other modern things. The smart club got me driving with confidence in Europe. The Hambach roadbooks are legendary. Have met so many lovely people and had such good times. Have loads of happy memories. Thank you to the Youngs and all the committees and helpers. Its been a blast.

Same here. Social media has never been of any interest to me.

I first became interested in the smart brand in 2001 when DaimlerChrysler had started selling RHD models which was under the MCC name branding back then - and you could buy from dedicated smart dealerships! After doing quite a bit of research and some test drives, I decided to buy in to it in 2002 not longer after the facelift 'Mk6' launched. Not quite as early as some, but still I've enjoyed my time on the message board over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadleigh Marky View Post
    I feel really sad about the demise of this forum.
    Yes, it's sad. I've not been a longtime member or even a particular Smart enthusiast, but it's been a useful resource.

Social media may be popular but it's hard to find archived material - it seems you have to (re)ask the question every time. And I can't be bothered with that, even if I could be bothered with SM to begin with. I'm not social

So goodbye to all those I've interacted with on here. It was good, but I doubt we'll knowingly 'speak' together again.
    2016, ForTwo cabriolet, 900 turbo, DCT, Prime Premium, unmodified.

i would like to add my best wishes to all those in the Smart club that i have met since joining in 2003, i have not been about the last couple of years due to Dots long illness and death in May last year.
    We have enjoyed many a club trip and very sad to see the demise of the club, many thanks to Al & Fiona who did a wonderful job over the years.
    Mick Newell.

Big thanks to Al & Fiona for all their efforts In running this fantastic club for all these years. I was lucky to go on a trip to Hambach in 2003 and also attended the superb 20th Anniversary bash in 2017. Still running my original Smart Pulse from 2002 and my later 2016 453 Pure.

Thread Information