Although temporarily remaining open for new threads and posts (following the very kind messages and emails), all Forum information, posts and threads will remain visible until 28th February 2021 after which point thesmartclub Forum service will close.  Links to thesmartclub and The smart Racing Club social media pages are available via thesmartclub.co.uk homepage.  In addition, you have full and free access to every issue of 4site smart Magazine via that same homepage facility.  

Our thanks to the 35,000+ users who Registered for our Forums services for the past 20 years - your registration details will be deleted in line with our Privacy Policy wef 28th February 2021.

For any questions, please see the Contact Us sections from thesmartclub.co.uk homepage.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Forum closing.

Default Forum closing.

Simple question: Why? Big notice but no reason.

John

Default Re: Forum closing.

Probably because facebook has killed most forums and this is one that has suffered for sure.
    Anyone who's used smartmaniacs or smartz (previously smartmania & onsmart) will know they're all tumbleweed now compared with their hey day.

Only theroadster.net remains busy as a smart forum and even there numbers are down.

However, I would have thought putting the forum to read-only rather than killing off 20 years of collated info would have been far more sensible.

As the "owner" of theroadster.net I am aware of the hosting fees, and they're fairly trivial so I can't see why the data couldn't be retained for the good of the community.

Its a real shame I still check this site multiple times per day but only log in to post.
    2019 Smart Fortwo Prime Premium Cabrio A453 Turbo 900cc 90hp
    R-Link Evolution Sat Nav/DAB with Android Auto, Bluetooth, USB, SD, AUX
    Heated Seats, Electric Mirrors, Air Con
    6-Speed Dual Clutch Automatic
    Rear Parking Sensors
    White with 15 Alloys

Would be nice to know the reason why the forum is closing from the owner rather than having to speculate. Could they have offered the forum to one of the members to run rather than just deleting as you say, 20 odd years of knowledge.

John

A real shame but honestly I am not surprised. I have had 16 really good years of discussion and friendly advice.
    At least I still see at least 1 other smart most days and then, they are more often than not the older 450 models
    RIP thesmartclub

Its a real shame I still check this site multiple times per day but only log in to post.

Ditto.

I've been an owner and member of thesmartclub for over 18 years.

Video killed the radio star - I think social media has probably done its fair share to help kill off message boards and forums. That, and the smart brand itself is nothing like what it once was in its heyday; the car has become mainstream and for a lot of owners, it's just a way to get from A to B.

I don't do social media so I know very little of what goes on in the smart world outside of what I see on the forums.

Anyone remember the regular trips and national events from the old days? London to Brighton, Brooklands, the smart festival at Mercedes-Benz World, Track/Drive day, smartville factory in Hambach, Brabus in Bottrop, smart Times, Billing Aquadrome, the various Dyno Days, and not forgetting the regional monthly pub meets and one-off trips that took place all over the country.

If it weren't for this Covid-19 pandemic, I'd still be attending Ace Cafe and the Heritage Motor Centre, but that's about it these days.

It is a shame. Have noticed there are currently 95 people on the forum so clearly still interest. (This thread is in the ebike forum for some reason but who cares) Have had some great times with the smart club. 10 trips to Hambach, 2 to Brabus plus smart times, LtoB etc. Will never forget bending a wheel on my roadster in France after hitting a huge pothole. Luckily I was with 22 other smarts and I was mobile again in about 20 minutes thanks to Al Young and a kerbstone piledriver. I think it is still available on you tube. Met some good friends over the years through the club and hopefully continue with out local meets when we are allowed to again.
    Thanks to Al and Fiona and all the team for the last 15 years of fun and adventure and thanks to gourmet snapper for recording most of them on camera.

Thread Information