thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub shop - the world's largest independent club for all things smart
+ Reply to Thread

Default 451 0.8 cdi 54 hp misery 😔

Hi, I have big problems with my smart, last week I bought from Germany, and car come to my address and I noticed that car make a lot black smoke all the time you reving it or you driving it. More smoke is made in lower rpm and whna you going up is little bit less but car can't pass emissions test and can't be registered.

So we chaack turbo is good on tester allso, chack compreson and is wery good, allso we test injections they are like new, there is new egr, new dpf, no errors on dashboard, valves are good.
    So is something we skipped, car is 2012, 110000 km cdi 54 hp.
    Only tomorrow we will try to put original software maybe someone did something because we noticed that car goes 155 kmh and it is limited on 135 kmh.
    Any help would be great.
    Thanks 😊

Default Re: 451 0.8 cdi 54 hp misery 😔

I think you hit it in one. If the car does that speed then someone has been messing. Start with the original file and see what changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    I think you hit it in one. If the car does that speed then someone has been messing. Start with the original file and see what changes.
    Yes I will tell you, now car is in service to update map.

so we change map and it is same like before, any idea where to start ? we clean intake, new egr, vacum lines are ok, turbo is good all pipes are good, maybe something in cilinder had.
    Thanks

What diagnostic devices do you have access to?

Next step has to be to read the fault codes preferably with a Star system but a Delphi will do.

It is a complicated little car and the faults could be differential pressure sensor, exhaust temperature sensors but there are an awful lot of other things. You really need to buy a diagnostic tool because if it proves hard to fix you do not want to be paying someone each time you need to read the codes.

Yes, wi try everything there is not any errors on Mercedes star diagnostic, car is ded from low rpms and smoke black when he reaches 3000 starting to smoking less but still there is black smoke, oil is normal, starting allso I make 200 km and always smoking. No errors. Next ste wi will try to remove engine head and see a valves...
    We don't know what else to chack.
    Thanks guys 🙂

Smoke started coming out of the exhaust on my 2002 450 CDI when accelerating. It also lacked power when pulling away from a standstill, and when on the move it didn't have much power until the turbo started spooling up at around 1,600rpm. The cause was a dirty air filter which hadn't been changed for 30,000 miles. After fitting a new air filter the engine immediately improved, and kept improving for perhaps a hundred miles or so until it was working like new again.

If you don't have a badly clogged air filter, then this won't be the problem.
    Last edited by smartboost; 20th July 2020 at 19:59.

Have you checked that it is the correct engine and ECU set. The problem with getting a car that you have never known to be OK is that someone could have swapped bits about. The ECU set for the 45 is different, as are the injectors and even the glow plug controller does not work correctly.

Check all your ECU numbers and cross reference with the engine. Even that does not tell you for sure because you can fit the 54 head on the 45 engine and they are different injectors and glow plugs.

Are the glow plugs working OK?

Read the figures for the differential pressure sensor from the star system. See if they are within tolerance.

Thread Information