Although temporarily remaining open for new threads and posts (following the very kind messages and emails), all Forum information, posts and threads will remain visible until 28th February 2021 after which point thesmartclub Forum service will close.  Links to thesmartclub and The smart Racing Club social media pages are available via thesmartclub.co.uk homepage.  In addition, you have full and free access to every issue of 4site smart Magazine via that same homepage facility.  

Our thanks to the 35,000+ users who Registered for our Forums services for the past 20 years - your registration details will be deleted in line with our Privacy Policy wef 28th February 2021.

For any questions, please see the Contact Us sections from thesmartclub.co.uk homepage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Exhaust manifold crack symptoms

How difficult is it to remove the turbo and fit it onto a new manifold?
    New manifold https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...JGQ8SPH0&psc=1 for £128.
    Would fitting a roadster TIK be a good idea ?
    Is the metal gasket usually reusable ?
    Thanks
    2003 pure semi auto 87000 miles(Roadster engine? Brabus ECU/SAM/Speedo)

Your main problem will be the possibility of sheared studs & bolts due to corrosion.

Plenty of penetrating fluid 24 hours beforehand (Multiple times) , but there’ll still always be one
    fq101.co.uk

Cool Re: Exhaust manifold crack symptoms

Have removed manifold and separated the turbo . 3 of the studs came out with the nuts attached but nothing sheared .
    Only a small crack visible on the outside of the manifold but there is crack on the inside where the turbo sits.
    Also 2 cracks on the wastegate seat and quite a lot of play in the wastegate spindle.
    Have too keep stopping as it is so hot

Update-
    No boost now- max 1.5 psi @5000rpm using obd and mobile app.
    Have double checked the pipes for the actuator/cycle valves.
    Refitted the TIK/compressor to intercooler pipe.
    As a test I removed actuator arm and manually moved the wastegate to fully open/closed and tried revving to @3000 but still just getting a vacuum reading .
    Should I be able to get a boost by doing this?
    Also how tight should the V-band that clamps the turbo to the manifold be ?
    Can a manifold be bad so it won't boost?
    Can not hear any blowing noises from manifold area.
    Any ideas please .
    Good news
    I removed the exhaust to make sure the turbo was free to spin and it was.
    Then I felt the wastegate valve in the closed position and it was not closed but had a gap so after some checking of the actuator arm I decided to shorten the arm until the valve was closed.
    I adjusted it so the valve was touching the seat but I could still just move the valve round with my finger.
    Anyway I now have @ 10 psi boost and no jerking when using full throttle under load.
    I will use it like this for a while to make sure it is OK. Maybe a further adjustment of the arm if needed.
    Last edited by peanut; 28th June 2020 at 18:15. Reason: update

Thread Information