Please note that this Forum Service will close to new Posts and Threads with effect from January 23rd 2021.  

All Forum information, posts and threads will remain visible until 28th February 2021 after which point thesmartclub Forum service will close.  Links to thesmartclub and The smart Racing Club social media pages are available via thesmartclub.co.uk homepage.  In addition, you have full and free access to every issue of 4site smart Magazine via that same homepage facility.  

Our thanks to the 35,000+ users who Registered for our Forums services for the past 20 years - your registration details will be deleted in line with our Privacy Policy wef 28th February 2021.

For any questions, please see the Contact Us sections from thesmartclub.co.uk homepage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default sat-nav vs dash cam

When my last 451 died I removed the dash cam from it & put it in its replacement. It's powered up via a hard wire kit from the side of the SAM ... no problems with the camera. However, for some reason it interferes with the 'new' Smarts factory's fit radio/sat-nav/DVD/CD player like this one which means the sat-nav can't see any GPS satellites . If I pull the plug from the side of the camera then all is OK

Which leads me to ask .... where is the GPS gizmo in a facelift 451?

It's not really that much of a problem as I know my way to & from work and that's about all the Smart is used for, I just thought I'd try & sort it while I've a little more time on my hands.

Default Re: sat-nav vs dash cam

Memory failing you?

http://www.smartz.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-22662.html

Even if you have to replace the GPS aerial, it is located under the panel just in front of the clock pod.

Where do you have the camera? If it is on the dash then I bet that is your problem. Cheap camera with a CE mark that comes from China.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Not really .... I did have a quick look as I thought I'd asked the question before but couldn't/didn't find it

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Where do you have the camera? If it is on the dash then I bet that is your problem. Cheap camera with a CE mark that comes from China.
    Funnily enough it's stuck to my windscreen ;-) And it is a cheap camera from China but the same(ish) camera & power supply is in my daughter's Yaris with no such sat-nav problems.

I've just (half an hour ago) removed the hard wired power supply & powered the camera from a ciggy lighter socket, got about 100 feet up the road & the sat-nav found its GPS signal so obviously something to do with the power supply. I just didn't want cables on show which is why I hard wired it.

What next? Power the hard wire kit from somewhere else? Power it from the SAM but extend the wiring? But a Smart is only so big & the power supply can only be so far from the GPS receiver where ever it is in the car

Can you not wrap the hard wire unit in something to lessen any EMF interference? (dons tin foil hat).
    Smart (450 city coupe 0.7 pulse) 2003 "vintage" 45KW / 61 HP (M160/1)
    450 0.7 Brabus "Red A" 55.2KW / 74 HP
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    E-Biker
    17 snowboards (ish)
    Bitter drinker (not bitter)
    Cheapskate, Skateboarder,
    Old enough to know better.

The interfering crap may be being radiated from the psu, or piped down the connecting cable to the product.
    I guess if you just disconnect the power supply from the satnav, but leave it connected to the car powering nothing, then you’ll know if it was radiating it, (although it won’t be loaded so not a completely foolproof test)

Power the hard wired power supply from elsewhere
    You’re ignoring the fact that the psu could have just developed a fault, still outputting but producing noise. change it.
    fq101.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Gus View Post
    Can you not wrap the hard wire unit in something to lessen any EMF interference? (dons tin foil hat).
    That's kinda why was asking ....

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post
    The interfering crap may be being radiated from the psu, or piped down the connecting cable to the product.
    I guess if you just disconnect the power supply from the satnav, but leave it connected to the car powering nothing, then you’ll know if it was radiating it, (although it won’t be loaded so not a completely foolproof test) ....
    If I disconnect the mini/micro/? USB from the camera itself and leave the psu connected, then I get the sat-nav back. There are occasions when it does all work as it should, but more often than not, if I try the sat-nav there is no GPS signal.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post
    ...You’re ignoring the fact that the psu could have just developed a fault, still outputting but producing noise. change it.
    To be honest I never thought of that ....

Has it got a clip on ferrite core reducer already?
    Smart (450 city coupe 0.7 pulse) 2003 "vintage" 45KW / 61 HP (M160/1)
    450 0.7 Brabus "Red A" 55.2KW / 74 HP
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    E-Biker
    17 snowboards (ish)
    Bitter drinker (not bitter)
    Cheapskate, Skateboarder,
    Old enough to know better.

Thread Information