thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub shop - the world's largest independent club for all things smart
+ Reply to Thread

Question 451 Brabus - sudden loss of power at 4k revs

Hi all,
    Long time member and back in a Smart again for the first time in a while. I bought a 451 a few days ago that's got some strange issues, so looking for advice.

It pulls strongly in all gears when the turbo spools up, but as you continue up the rev range it flattens off after the initial surge. I assume this isn't normal. Also, in second gear it suddenly loses all thrust at 4k revs. It's quite abrupt and feels almost like a limiter or boost cut. Not sure if it only happens when cold as I haven't had much opportunity to drive it.

No engine check light but just read the error codes and it is showing P0235 - Turbo/Super Charger Boost Sensor "A" Circuit.

The first thing I noticed was the e-clip on the wastegate actuator arm was missing. I installed one, but it hasn't solved anything. The actuator is totally rusted beyond belief, so I've ordered a new one.

So while I wait for the actuator to arrive, anyone have any idle speculation on the cause? Any point changing the MAP sensor?

Default Re: 451 Brabus - sudden loss of power at 4k revs

Take it to someone that knows smarts

Thread Information