thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub shop - the world's largest independent club for all things smart
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Brake fluid reservoir

Thanks tolsen, that's helpful. I was hoping it would be possible to remove the hoses from the barbs, and thereby keep the hoses full. I have ordered a used reservoir from eBay.

The existing reservoir is cracked along the top edge. I'm not sure how much fluid would actually leak but it doesn't seem safe, and it prevents me pressurising the reservoir the bleed the brakes using the Easibleed device.

It's 'just possible' that the crack 'might' have been caused by 'somebody' forgetting to reduce the pressure in the tyre before attaching it to the Easibleed ...

To play it safe, I reduce tyre pressure slightly below 1 bar when using easy bleed. So far Ive suffered no blown fluid reservoirs.

Just found a suitable tool on eBay that might do the job provided pipe is drained of brake fluid in way of barb.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hose-Remo...s/332292966236

Of course pipe must be heated or it will never come off.

Same Nielsen CT2587 tool but cheaper:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neilsen-C...s/222999461813

Thanks. I found that myself and have just ordered one. Looks a useful tool to have, and you can never have too many.

For info, in case anyone else has to do it. Access to the reservoir and the top end of the hoses is straightforward. Remove front panel and right headlight. The hoses disappear over to the other side of the car but have just enough slack to unclip the reservoir. Draw off fluid with a syringe then invert to drain the rest, including the top 5cm of the hoses. Pouring boiling water over the hoses softens them. The hose remover wasn't useful, as it needs a 4mm exposed section of pipe (or barb in this case) to insert it where it can bear on the end of the hose, and the hoses are pushed all the way onto the barbs. I levered at the hose with a small screwdriver, reheated it and then levered with a larger screwdriver. Once it's off 4mm it just pulls off. Swap reservoirs, then reattach the hoses. Didn't want to pour water into the hoses so positioned a small container of boiling water just below and was able to bend the hose enough to dip the end 2cm. Then quickly push it onto the barb. Once it's initially on, more boiling water allowed it to be pushed on further.

Then refill, and bleed through, in case any water did get into the hoses, being careful not to overpressure the Easibleed.

Thread Information