thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub shop - the world's largest independent club for all things smart
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Bought a 450 0.7 Brabus "Red A edition" 55.2KW / 74 HP today.

Why are pictures of your car so valuable to you?

Data privacy in general is important to me, I don't want to p155 it away & regret it later, so whilst not the simplest route it is safer, especially if ever trying to perform a successful take down notice.

You'd be surprised how many folk have never read their property title deeds, let alone a software apps permissions & policy (for instance).
    Smart (450 city coupe 0.7 pulse) 2003 "vintage" 45KW / 61 HP (M160/1)
    450 0.7 Brabus "Red A" 55.2KW / 74 HP
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    E-Biker
    17 snowboards (ish)
    Bitter drinker (not bitter)
    Cheapskate, Skateboarder,
    Old enough to know better.

Just anonomise your car and the (recognisable) surroundings if necessary, with a digital felt tip pen.

It's a picture at the end of the day. You choose what to have in it anyway.

I use https://postimages.org/ myself - it's
    fq101.co.uk

Seriously - you won't upload a photo to a hosting site for fear of ownership rights?
    Seriously?

Wow if that's all you have to worry about in life, life is treating you well!

Quote Originally Posted by 137699 View Post
    Seriously - you won't upload a photo to a hosting site for fear of ownership rights?
    Seriously?

Wow if that's all you have to worry about in life, life is treating you well!
    Nope, you need to look wider of the mark to understand the ramifications of online presence, to see the bigger picture.

Data trails are a p.i.t.a. as is having to sort out misuse of aspects that you keep a tight rein on, lest you slip easier to make a rule & follow it.

Have had my intellectual property, design used & abused (& monies earnt off them by result) its not fun.

So i'm careful, just like I take care to look when crossing the road, nothing wrong with that.

I also earn money from dealing with data offenders & have to go through a lot of crud in order to get them to comply whilst charging them for my time, it changes your perspective.
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    E-Biker
    17 snowboards (ish)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Gus View Post
    Nope, you need to look wider of the mark to understand the ramifications of online presence, to see the bigger picture.

Data trails are a p.i.t.a. as is having to sort out misuse of aspects that you keep a tight rein on, lest you slip easier to make a rule & follow it.

Have had my intellectual property, design used & abused (& monies earnt off them by result) its not fun.

So i'm careful, just like I take care to look when crossing the road, nothing wrong with that.

I also earn money from dealing with data offenders & have to go through a lot of crud in order to get them to comply whilst charging them for my time, it changes your perspective.
    +1 to that. Once bitten by that particular monster your views change. You realise too late that it is too late and if the big boys take things off you then they know you cannot afford to fight to get them back even if you would win.

fq101.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Gus View Post

I agree that sensitive personal data needs to stay private, but this seem like borderline paranoia over a few snaps of your car, particularly if you anonymise them.

No, it's not.

It used to be that websites hosted the photos that were occasionally posted, then the likes of monetization via Instagram et. al came in, along with it more, anything to know lots of meta-data that went with it, ..like a fit bit often maps where your been in a "restricted access" camp of military personnel, might want control options to use your social media accounts, foot iterations of anything you upload to folk, or for others to use as they wish.

Have you ever looked at where the data for your schoolkids software go's? ..likely from one company to 150 within a contracted group & wider thereafter (overseas arms & their individual contracts, ..which if you ever wish to get something pulled, defamatory or just plain wrong can take 3 hours of time to resolve with one entity over the period of a fortnight, ..despite eu law, ...& now without being in the eu for protection data is going further afield with less ability to restrict / remove it.

Your kids info & your interactions through those homework, schoolmail type sites are monetized elsewhere, a sign of the times being that a company in this sector refused to speak to me over the phone or otherwise unless I signed up to their terms & conditions beforehand, ..& that was merely to discuss what was on their publicly visible web page, not even anything behind it..

So these days with things as they are, unless I host my own pictures, & retain control / majority control pics won't happen, I don't do the likes of Facebook for the same reasons of privacy, anonymity etc.

If on the other hand folk have been banging out pictures & locations of what they are doing, seeing eating on apps for years then yeah they might find it weird because that has become their societal norm.

Nb data misuse is rife, & access to removal is often made hard, supposedly anonymised non identifying data that clearly isnt, ..if you bother to look into it, data shared such as meds ordered, med types, travel dates, times, how many tickets m/f ratio etc ..stuff that joins the dots if you care to look into it., stuff that I didn't give permission for but is for example taken all the same when I have ordered something, not even necessarily online but over the phone which has then been monetized by the company selling the goods ...over the phone, inputted onto a computer.

It is now rife in both Amazon & ebay, regardless of rules to use your email details, as such I've had to get heavy & have marketing lists purged & financial settlements made, ..So much for secure.So

Yup I just want to pop up some pics too, but it isn't necessarily that easy any more. If you are not into the data equivalent of bum rape that you agreed to beforehand when you scrolled through that software user agreement.
    Last edited by Mr Gus; Yesterday at 15:48.
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    E-Biker
    17 snowboards (ish)

"also have to suss out a hosting method to display on here"

If it's any help, I host any photos I wish to publish via a contract with a small outfit called wiserhosting.com - it costs me about 24/year. They have been very helpful. There were actually other reasons why I set up the contract, but it's convenient to use it for that. I also own my own domain name, which the photos are hosted under, so that I can maintain the same url for my photos even if I change hosting provider.

Thread Information