thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub shop - the world's largest independent club for all things smart
+ Reply to Thread

Default Smart Sales for 2019

I was flicking through an Auto Express magazine just now in the Chinese and noticed this article which I've ripped out and photographed.

Says that Smart only sold 4022 new cars in 2019 which is a bit of a shame.
    2019 Smart Fortwo Prime Premium Cabrio A453 Turbo 900cc 90hp
    R-Link Evolution Sat Nav/DAB with Android Auto, Bluetooth, USB, SD, AUX
    Heated Seats, Electric Mirrors, Air Con
    6-Speed Dual Clutch Automatic
    Rear Parking Sensors
    White with 15Ē Alloys

Default Re: Smart Sales for 2019

I imagine the sales for this year will be even lower. My friend has had his current 453 for 4 years and is at the point where he gives it back or pays a balloon payment to keep it. He went to smart of Southend and they said they only make electric smarts now and as a replacement he could have the lowest spec one for £25000. One near his current spec would be £30k. They actually suggested he try an A class Merc as they are much cheaper. Canít imagine they will sell many £25k cars that have a range of only 70 miles. I Dont think smart will be around for much longer sadly.
    Interesting you found the article in the Chinese as smart is now 50 per cent Chinese and from next year (Or is it 2022?) they will only be made in China.
    Last edited by Hadleigh Marky; 1st March 2020 at 12:06.

Likely they will have double that or as close to it via cheaper "tri" variant battery.
    Though in the meantime it is all up in the air.
    Smart (450 city coupe 0.7 pulse) 2003 "vintage" 45KW / 61 HP (M160/1)
    450 0.7 Brabus "Red A" 55.2KW / 74 HP
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    E-Biker
    17 snowboards (ish)
    Bitter drinker (not bitter)
    Cheapskate, Skateboarder,
    Old enough to know better.

I am one of those Smart owners that Smart donít want to embrace. I drive on average 21,000miles a year in my Smart car. I have had two 451 ForTwo both the 54bhp diesel version. Smart first said that their owners donít need the economy that the diesel version gave and they stopped it as an engine choice, and now they have removed the petrol engine as well.
    However they havenít improved on the 451 EQ. What have they been doing since that original? it doesnít appear that they have developed anything to improve on the electric drive since mainstream launching in 2009.

The facelift EQ for 2020 has a range of 70 miles (WLTPM) and appears completely out of step with the rest of the EQ market. Even with bigger cars achieving over 200 mile ranges.

A Smart EQ is going to be too niche to compete with the ever increasing cars coming to market. On the face of it anyone in the market for a new Electric drive car is going to be hard pushed to want to pick the Smart.
    I know that buying cars does involve a bit of heart over head, but when it comes to range, the heart has one massive hurdle to overcome in the case of Smart's EQ.

Only way to know is to ask smart & Geely directly, is the smart going back to being purely a city car!? (As per original design concept).

I can see larger battery being used, however that may well be to deal with users lack of home parking & weekly charging capability by an investment company who wants to get in the PAYG market (for china, with China making design decisions that are then "what the euro market gets, not necessarily wants, ..but you all want mileage & they will want units sold, so maybe a cheaper!? happy medium.

Then there is the Citroen (r)e-visualisation c the twizy as a side by side 2 seater on a similar but more modified chassis in the quadricycle medium (as is twizy) limited to around 28 mph, for city hire & purchase, I only heard about this last night, whilst this morning t.f.l. announce a 20mph max limit in some aspects of London, ..it is hard to see where the smart ends & new e.v. begins, ..especially with smarts overpriced sub par battery packs, ...in this modern EV field.

At least the later EQ's do have fast charge capability, the smart ED through to revamped EQ was "just about" holding its own (skin + teeth springs to mind) having essentially the same pack size as the v.w. E-up which was subsequently upgraded ...which companies who want to stay in the game do, ..smart on the other hand? this looks like boats missed, bridges burned & not long till Geely are the outright owner of the "disposal" whilst Mercedes Benz / Daimler unseal some long prepped marketing hyperbole to how out with it the market beats them down again like they allowed it.

Fyi, the imiev & subsequent collaborator was initially costed to be 2/3 "just the battery" never mind the rest of the car, giving rise to the then unknown longevity of pure b.e.v. & the belief that they had to be replaced every 5 years (BS) ...I don't think Smart accounting got the memo's after that, seems they are intent on using 2009-2012 state of accounts, .. battery pack cost is a fraction of what it was, energy density & range for the same floor plan has effectively doubled, rapid charging via 50 kWh (peak) chademo et al is deemed safe to use several times per day ..even in non air cooled batteries packs in general.

So what gives?

Smart has been holding its breath since 2012 & holding back implementation of advances which it could have led with as one of the few until recent times on the market, ..the commercial price of li-ion batts per kWh seems to be under that plan too as a mothballed company waiting for a Chinese buyer to slash costs & close the European factory!?

But then Daimler / Merc benz, who were investors in tesla, did decide the b-class electric should only have a gen 1 leaf range ....but only be capable of a 13amp plug charge, ..& sold their shares the day they released that model.

Benz appear to have just want rid of the smart brand for too long, & despite clear directional change from other brands as to battery tech they still want rid now BEV is more than a mere occasional oddity in the street, & that's what I cannot get my head around.

The longer you produce something from moulds, the cheaper the item technically becomes (with periodic re-tooling) ..would love to be a fly on the wall in MB HQ.
    Last edited by Mr Gus; 2nd March 2020 at 10:03.
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    E-Biker
    17 snowboards (ish)

Quote Originally Posted by TINYTOT1 View Post
    Smart first said that their owners donít need the economy that the diesel version gave and they stopped it as an engine choice
    They didnít say that all !!

An ageing engine design, sales numbers, (lack of) economies of scale in the case of the smart, and the ever tighter EU6 emissions standard being foisted upon car manufacturers all conspired to precluding smart from building/adapting an EU6 compliant diesel for the smart.

However they havenít improved on the 451 EQ. What have they been doing since that original? it doesnít appear that they have developed anything to improve on the electric drive since mainstream launching in 2009.

The facelift EQ for 2020 has a range of 70 miles (WLTPM) and appears completely out of step with the rest of the EQ market. Even with bigger cars achieving over 200 mile ranges.

A Smart EQ is going to be too niche to compete with the ever increasing cars coming to market. On the face of it anyone in the market for a new Electric drive car is going to be hard pushed to want to pick the Smart.
    Totally agree on many aspects of what you wrote here, the (lack of) range on the current EQ is a real deal breaker for a lot of people. Itís a pathetic range.
    I wonít be buying one (not even any time soon, I just wonít be buying one full stop)

Iím hanging on to my 453 petrol for as long as possible, no road tax, decent performance (and range )

I think theyíll being a growing demand for the last of the petrol engined cars (especially the ones that were in the low and zero read tax years) , with the best of the emission standards ensuring theyíll be the last to be ostracised from town/city centres, and in general, as a lot of early EU emission (and completely non-eu standard cars - i.e. EU0) standard cars are being slowly slipped into the Ďbanned from city centresí list.
    fq101.co.uk

My 450 was purchased new by me some 15 years ago and has just recently clicked over 170,000 miles. Before that, I owned a 2002 city-coupe and drove almost 60,000 miles, only selling to upgrade to a newer face-lifted cabrio.

I had been following the development of the original 450 ED / electric drive with interest and would have seriously considered owning one by now, if smart had continued the partnership with Tesla (which from memory was demonstrated in the then current 451 model) and offered a car with decent range, fast AC charging and CCS rapid charging as standard.

Despite being a long standing smart enthusiast for the last 18 years, the 453 EQ does not appeal to me at all.

I look forward to Tesla showing Smart what can therefore be done, ..cos it doesn't seem that Smart will,

Yes, I know that the smaller a car go's in terms of design + cheap, the harder it is to squeeze a profit, ..but smart however have been charging big car money for little vehicles this long via the petrol medium that I think a forward thinking company can & will pick this style up & run with it affordably.
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    E-Biker
    17 snowboards (ish)

Thread Information