thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub shop - the world's largest independent club for all things smart
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EEC Exhausts

Default EEC Exhausts

Has anyone tried the exhausts that are for sale on E-bay for about £120.

They are advertised as being euro compliant and clearly have a cat as part of the assembly and a lambda sensor port.

Given that the OEM decided to stop supporting this component many years ago, this seems to be an excellent development, if they are any good!

Anyone know?
    Last edited by BG04NNB; 18th February 2020 at 13:41.
    Efficiency is intelligent lazyness.

Default Re: EEC Exhausts

Doesn’t seem feasible that they could make one with a cat for that price, but there are even some for the 450 for £86
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BM-Premiu...d5bd%7Ciid%3A1
    fq101.co.uk

Could you post a link to the exhaust in question - I have not heard of these £120 super-units.

The BM Catalyst one shown on the above link will be a good quality unit, it just looks different to the original OEM design. To cut costs some manufacturers use a standard rolled steel design for the silencer and then a seperate cat, where as some use the original pressed steel design. From memory I think TP Engineering use a pressed steel design.

Vehicles Y-reg or later (March 2001) require a homologated (Type Approved) part, basically meaning it meets or exceeds the original manufacturer specifcation.

I fitted a cheap exhaust like that on a 2002 Smart 450 petrol. The exhaust was very load and it only lasted two years before it rusted through and leaked. Therefore an exhaust I would not recommend.

I have one of those EEC exhausts on my ForTwo. Slightly noisier than standard though not terrible and it has passed the last couple of MOTs with no problems at all with emissions.

However the lower support bracket design is useless and snapped of within a couple of months of use because it's welded rather than clamped to the silencer body (as the OE part is on a ForTwo). I added the upper support bracket from a Roady and welded a bracket onto the silencer to mount it and had no problems since. It's still in very good condition with minimal surface rust.

I am just preparing myself for the inevitable, exhaust on our Roadster is the original (so 17 years old) so it is bound to fail at some point.

Why did Smart stop making these? I would have thought it was never going to be stock that became i.e. there would always be a steady demand, especially seeing that the OEM version does seem to be good quality.

I know they would charge daft money for them but at least you would know that it would last a few years.

The reason Smart stop making parts is because they're part of the bigger Mercedes animal which has literally hundreds of models in the back catalogue and only so much manufacturing, processing & storage capacity to cover all their models. So they focus on lines which have the quickest turnover, highest profit margins, or are required to stock due to regulations (e.g. the 10 year rule).

Roadster exhaust rarely fail - even at 17 years old most look like they'll do another 10+ happily. They take up a lot of room to store. They probably command little margin. So makes much more sense to use that capacity for something more sensible.

Seeing as they no longer supply alternators, cycle valves and many other much much smaller parts, the bigger stuff you have no hope with. The Roadster is pretty much "out of support" as far as Smart/Merc are concerned.

Thread Information