thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub shop - the world's largest independent club for all things smart
+ Reply to Thread

Default Warning RE: OBD star units Naff chinese sales leaving you in the lurch!

Knowing how many potential "alternatives" but wanting a good capable unit I contacted OBD star in china via their website.

It was a depressing reality of IDNGAF (from a company representative) with regards to both technical question of suitability across multiple vehicles & their "warning".

Basically they will NOT support / entertain claims made from folk other than themselves, not secondary sellers of official kit which makes the whole prospect of buying the genuine article pointless!

May as well buy a well priced counterfeit because the odds are that you'll get a sharp "NO" even if you did buy their actual product, plus on the technical front that "assistance" was totally ignored.

POT LUCK, Hobsons choice!
    Smart (450 city coupe 0.7 pulse) 2003 "vintage" 45KW / 61 HP (M160/1)
    450 0.7 Brabus "Red A" 55.2KW / 74 HP
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    E-Biker
    17 snowboards (ish)
    Bitter drinker (not bitter)
    Cheapskate, Skateboarder,
    Old enough to know better.

Default Re: Warning RE: OBD star units Naff chinese sales leaving you in the lurch!

Having still felt the urge to buy one & utilise it, I eventually went for a Foxwell unit (on several recommendations) ..hoping for it to arrive from "alleged" UK stock imminently.

Foxwell NT650 Elite

There is the contentious issue of grey import vs UK stock, & I'm guessing I've bought the former, as it wasn't 250 but expensive enough (tbh, I only read that there was a UK distributor this evening).

Confusing to research & purchase because in part the numbers & what various models do, is all over the plac.

..jeez
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    E-Biker
    17 snowboards (ish)

Default Re: Warning RE: OBD star units Naff chinese sales leaving you in the lurch!

*Official Kit*

Erm, you know all these units are counterfeit?

The only *OFFICIAL* kit is sourced directly from Mercedes Benz. The cost is something like 15,000.

Anything less and you're buying a Chinese clone and are actually in breach of MB's software T&Cs and could potentially be taken to court for using their software without paying the fees.

Of course this is a clone, ...cloning design & all aspects of it have been a big old aspect of history.

China's patent laws = flimsy at best, giving rise to "generics" (not that the rest of the world is innocent of working process, product design, industrial espionage, right)

Just as re-maps "might be" the original copy of something good, or a tweaked no-name version put to use which is naff by comparison.

In art it is prominent too.

My point is that some generic code reader companies are naff with support of their considerably cheaper copies, ..I just bought a copy of a petrol fill rubber surround, ..should we offer the same sort of scrutiny?

Some companies work hard to make a name & others DNGAF (which is what I was highlighting).

The OBD market is full to overflowing of generics, I was giving my experience of a bad one that had previously been touted as one of the better companies.

How many private folk who just want to keep an eye on the increasingly complicated electronic mechanics of the automobile industry can spaff 15k on an MB star for a smart car ..grounds for divorce.

(I wonder how many times folk have been in breach, sticking in other oils compared to the ones touted by MB !? ..for instance).

..& given the oft reported rotten service by MB / Smart dealers ..etc ( feel free to fill in the blanks)
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    E-Biker
    17 snowboards (ish)

Nb, in my opening post I am referring to a company called obd star.

(Close name to, but not Mercedes-Benz "star" diagnostic company).

Just as I have latterly purchased a foxwell branded unit.

You can badge any box you want in China using generic mouldings, it doesn't mean the guts inside will be the same though!
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    E-Biker
    17 snowboards (ish)

Thread Information