thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub shop - the world's largest independent club for all things smart
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Minor service after a year despite criminally low mileage ?

Don't use engine flush unless you have an aftermarket sump with a drain plug. You can never get the last dregs out with the sucker, and you don't want a few cc of detergent flowing round with your new oil.
    The difference between good and great is nothing more than effort and commitment.

Thanks chopper, nope, I haven't it required pumping of the oil as per "smart" design!

I ought ask then what fuel treatments do you guys recommend for a periodic clean up & how often to do some real good?
    Smart (450 city coupe 0.7 pulse) 2003 "vintage" 45KW / 61 HP (M160/1)
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    E-Bike rider (lots of fun with knackered knees)
    17 snowboards (ish)
    Bitter drinker (not bitter)
    Cheapskate, Skateboarder,
    Old enough to know better.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    .... You can never get the last dregs out with the sucker, and ...
    Have you removed a sump after using a suction pump to look?

I have! And there was a tea spoon full of oil left ... no more than if you'd used a drain plug

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen123 View Post
    Fitting the diesel air filter in a petrol 450 is best and cheapest way to reduce losses in air inlet duct.

Height, bore and outer diameter are all same. Part numbers are different.

Petrol 450 air filter part numbers:
    Smart 000 9997 V 001
    Bosch 1 457 433 739
    Mann C1036/1

Diesel 450 air filter part numbers:
    Smart 000 4591 V 001
    BOSCH 1 457 433 044
    Mann C1041

The real difference is in filtration area. The diesel air filter has 12.7% larger filtration area. Petrol 450 air filters have 71 pleats. Diesel 450 air filters have 80 pleats. More pleats means larger filtration area.

Hmm, thoughts abounded today as to the difference in the card / paper stock material between the two types.. Tolsen, have you gleaned any info as to microns thickness / perforation rate of the filter or anything, as it *might* not be the same spec (not that I've a clue, however knowing a bit more as to differences might help).

Also how often do you tend to de-gunk engine deposits via a petrol additive?

Based on the bigger air filter holes don't catch so much I'm keen to close the loop of understanding via the filters as I'm not here to cane the smart, so losses are acceptable as is a bit more noise, as long as it remains more responsive in those roundabout moments).

Also, that gearbox, does a typical remap affect that (improve it too) or is the design of something within that also part of the overall problem?
    Cheers
    Smart (450 city coupe 0.7 pulse) 2003 "vintage" 45KW / 61 HP (M160/1)
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    E-Bike rider (lots of fun with knackered knees)
    17 snowboards (ish)
    Bitter drinker (not bitter)
    Cheapskate, Skateboarder,
    Old enough to know better.

Quote Originally Posted by EmilysDad View Post
    Have you removed a sump after using a suction pump to look?

I have! And there was a tea spoon full of oil left ... no more than if you'd used a drain plug
    Thank you for proving my point. That old oil would be about 1/6th engine flush by volume. Not nice to have circulating long term around an engine that already has a track record of fragility.
    The difference between good and great is nothing more than effort and commitment.

I do low mileage a year as well about 1100 miles a year that’s 23 miles once a week non stop. I still follow the yearly service schedule regardless of mileage.
    2019 Smart Fortwo Prime Premium Cabrio A453 Turbo 900cc 90hp
    R-Link Evolution Sat Nav/DAB with Android Auto, Bluetooth, USB, SD, AUX
    Heated Seats, Electric Mirrors, Air Con
    6-Speed Dual Clutch Automatic
    Rear Parking Sensors
    White with 15” Alloys

There is a good reason for regular engine flush if yours is a 450 petrol. Engine flush will help cleaning piston ring grooves thereby less probability of unfortunate early engine rebuild.

i strongly recommend oil sumps with drain plug but beware there are many bad designs out there which leave quite a lot of oil behind due to design of the threaded boss that drain plug screws into. The better designs have a well where drain plug sits and slits in lower part of boss which allow all oil to drain out.

Suction pumps like the Pela are indeed very good and there will not be much oil left if done right.

Thread Information