+ Reply to Thread

Default Passenger foot well carpet soaked

Three bolts secure the anti-lock/ hydraulic brake unit in place via. a bracket. The tips of the threads protrude in to the cabin. The under tray was dropped and Red Locktite applied to the threads.
    carpet still damp the water must be coming in, via the sides of the square nuts tack welded in the foot-well!

Any suggestions
    I'm thinking using liquid duct tape or spray on gutter seal such as stop that leak

Any help will be appreciated.

Default Re: Passenger foot well carpet soaked

Water enters via door seals in way of screw holes for inside cover for wing mirrors. A rather unSmart design as the seals cannot seal over holes.

Carpets are foam backed which can hold water for a long time unless you actively remove it. Suggestions on how to remove water from the carpets have already been detailed in this thread. If you have the undertray in place then it is unlikely that water is hitting the bulk head directly, but condensation might be occurring which is producing running dribbles of water. Just covering the whole tops of the bolts with water proof grease would stop any water penetrating that way and would be easier to clean off if you ever need to undo them in the future.

John

1566.png1565.png

the ingress is isolated to the nuts securing the hydraulic brake unit and no moisture was found on the sill/ bottom of the door seal. I have since utilised Rust-Oleum 3415 Aluminium Leakseal Leak Repair Spray Roofs Gutters Etc.l both internally and on the under carriage. The blue you see in the image is liquid gasket once tried to no avail. I will post again whether dry or not.

I pretty sure my 450 Cabrio has studs securing the accelerator pedal. The studs are same type as those used to hold inner wheel arch liners and rear lights. No cheap leaking plate nut solution like yours. Obviously something Smart did on UK models to save on costs.

Reread your post so conclude I misread your post.
    Nuts holding ABS or ESP unit.
    Apply polyurethane sealant from top. Everbuild PU40 from Toolstation. Only a fiver for a 300 ml cartridge.

Does you car have the plastic trays fitted underneath the car? Don't see how water in sufficient quantities, could reach those nuts with it in place.

John

Thread Information