+ Reply to Thread

Default Just Mot'ed "Krtek" ...some questions

Please don't think me lazy, I have scanned various forums & sometimes when you have good sources of experience sometimes you may just as well ask & get it right from the outset from folk such as yourselves.

I have "Kretk" under his expensive breathable Lotus elise cover (door zip works perfectly for the 450).

One of the suspension springs had bust (potholes are dire in the countryside) ..so a fail, fix & re-test =pass. no problem.

We also took him out today & yes the cruise control works a treat, on flats & hills etc. (sorry it took so long to verify) ..& it won wife bonus points, she was impressed at the simplicity compared to some cruise controls. ..still moans at "lag" on roundabouts, but enthused at the thought of Ealing driving in him (understanding the car concept & capabilities better).

Now the questions...

I noticed, he'd been parked up a week at my local garage (on a bit of a gradient) ..the rear high level boot brake light was "moist" on the inside ..normal? or should I take action.

Secondly the tape sorting the boot rattle has come adrift (almost) & needs replacing is heat shrink tube a better option, & can it affect the lock / open function? .OR have I simply got a dying battery in the key fob? ..the other key fob worked perfectly.

IF I need to crack open the high level rear brake light, anything else I should do? spray the inside contact spray & lube, change the bulbs for led if deemed reliable enough not to die in 6 months etc?

Also, the boot cover I sourced is "age faded" & has a stain or two on it, sort of spraying it with matt lacquer (step too far but likely viable solution for blending & covering water type stains) ..small but niggling, i'd like to pass the car to my daughter without this so she has added incentive to keep it "semi" clean.

NB, my daughter is half deaf+ the Speaker in the 450 sucks ass, & although she has VERY questionable musical tastes (pretty much none) should I upgrade the dash speaker to a capable one, do the cones tend to have rotted out on the older cars (foam rims etc) from heat / cold, & smokers type thing, dont want to change the cd / radio over ..original n'all that & make it a target for theft with something modern.

Seriously think the LFU for the 450 was specced for when the engine was idling as sonically it goes out the window when in motion.

Was it a collaboration with "Harry Moss" ? *cough*
    Last edited by Mr Gus; 13th October 2019 at 19:27.
    Smart (450 city coupe 0.7 pulse) 2003 "vintage" 45KW / 61 HP (M160/1)
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    E-Bike rider (lots of fun with knackered knees)
    17 snowboards (ish)
    Bitter drinker (not bitter)
    Cheapskate, Skateboarder,
    Old enough to know better.

Default Re: Just Mot'ed "Krtek" ...some questions

still moans at "lag" on roundabouts, but
    Teach her to go into Ďmanualí and downshift into 1st or 2nd etc, in preparation for the roundabout (thatís if youíre gonna approach the entrance slowishly and just carry on once youíve clocked the road is clear.)
    There will be no lag then.

Donít let the gearbox software try and work out a roundabout for itself , cos it has no idea youíre at a roundabout obviously.

You could fit the sound upgrade on the 450
    Last edited by TheAlmostInvisibleMan; 13th October 2019 at 19:32.
    fq101.co.uk

IF I need to crack open the high level rear brake light, anything else I should do? spray the inside contact spray & lube, change the bulbs for led if deemed reliable enough not to die in 6 months etc?
    Donít spray contact spray .... just open up dry, out, replace any bust bulbs (or them all) and then perhaps use some silicone spray etc in the joints before reassembly to try and deter any capillary action. (I canít remember if thereís a seal in there.
    fq101.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post
    Teach her to go into Ďmanualí and downshift into 1st or 2nd etc, in preparation for the roundabout (thatís if youíre gonna approach the entrance slowishly and just carry on once youíve clocked the road is clear.)
    There will be no lag then.

Donít let the gearbox software try and work out a roundabout for itself , cos it has no idea youíre at a roundabout obviously.

You could fit the sound upgrade on the 450
    That makes sense! will "coach" her on this & wait for the slap!
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    17 snowboards (ish)

Wasn't the water in the high level light caused by leaking rear washer above?
    Steve

Well it's moisture spots currently not sloshing with liquid, (however I only noticed it when we got back home, so if it were larger amounts of could have drained elsewhere I guess,

Should I order some twist fit leds whilst accessing the area drying it & feeding any seals?
    ..will now go read up on rear washers.
    All bulbs currently working as is.
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    17 snowboards (ish)

As moisture is getting in there the heat from filament lamps may help keep the contacts area a little drier, and thus reduce corrosion progress.
    2016, ForTwo cabriolet, 900 turbo, DCT, Prime Premium, unmodified.

Quote Originally Posted by dpmike View Post
    As moisture is getting in there the heat from filament lamps may help keep the contacts area a little drier, and thus reduce corrosion progress.
    Damn good point! i'll unscrew & dry first non wet day
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    17 snowboards (ish)

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post
    Donít spray contact spray .... just open up dry, out, replace any bust bulbs (or them all) and then perhaps use some silicone spray etc in the joints before reassembly to try and deter any capillary action. (I canít remember if thereís a seal in there.
    5 days of rain & counting, silicone spray at the ready.
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    17 snowboards (ish)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Gus View Post
    5 days of rain & counting, silicone spray at the ready.
    It has been somewhat English summer of late. No hosepipe bans though
    2016, ForTwo cabriolet, 900 turbo, DCT, Prime Premium, unmodified.

Thread Information