+ Reply to Thread

Default Dash cam that is USB-USB powered (not a cigarette "butt, plug" *in* charger)

At risk of setting off a tetchy topic (looked in archives) ....draws breath, whistles through teeth, Gents!

I recently purchased 2 x dash cams one for the Nissan leaf one for the Smart 450.

Both are going back, as neither company answered the questions posed to them as to USB-buttplug cig lighter or sensible 5v powered usb to usb device.. ,neither seller put up clear pigtures of the connector (or I may have not ordered them) ..a cig charger these days when so much USB kit is about is like bringing a 2004 laptop to the party in 2019 (& no it isn't a retro party).

Looking through amazon & the like, its like another decade where powering kit is concerned (pre-wheel almost).

Any Brands that without necessarily needing to be hardwired can be USB to spare usb connection on a pre-existing intelligent power USB IQ / qualcomm charger so I don't have to choose between swapping over 2-3 different power inputs / supply?

NB i'm confident with the volt meter twin USB, which is handy for a car not racking up battery charging miles, so first & foremost I don't want to lose that, rather just plug a cam through the jack, ..the wife & kid are heavy phone users, so charging "happens, thus I'm happy to hardwire the leaf eventually, just know that if it's phones OR dash-cam the dashcam will be unplugged in favour f a 15 minute charge & forgotten about!
    Last edited by Mr Gus; 3rd October 2019 at 16:12.
    New to Smart (450 city coupe 0.7 pulse)
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    E-Bike rider (lots of fun with knackered knees)
    17 snowboards (ish)
    Bitter drinker (not bitter)
    Cheapskate, Skateboarder,
    Old enough to know better.

Default Re: Dash cam that is USB-USB powered (not a cigarette "butt, plug" *in* charger)

I’m not sure what the core question is , but I got two ‘GARMIN DASHCAM MINI’ cams recently.
    Standard USB Micro on the cam, cam is smallest on market afaik. great video output to SD Micro.
    I hard wired mine via their extra hard wire cable (comes with some cables/chargers)
    You can watch via an app , or obviously remove card and save/view elsewhere.

Recommended = £99 though each.
    fq101.co.uk

Default Re: Dash cam that is USB-USB powered (not a cigarette "butt, plug" *in* charger)

I'm curious how he knows it looms like a butt plug?
    The difference between good and great is nothing more than effort and commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post
    I’m not sure what the core question is , but .....
    Not just me then .....

I hard wired my 451 Smart's dash cam to one of the supplies on the side of the SAM using one of these https://www.smart-stuff.parts/black-fuse-holder Mercedes sell them too, but they're not pre-wired.

I tried to power Emily's dash cam (same as mine) using the Toyota USB socket in the glove box, but it couldn't supply the current, so I used a piggy back fuse carrier like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Add-A-Cir...QAAOSwdm1bDPlZ
    they couldn't be simpler to use.

Cig -butt- plug
    Hard wired.

https://img.banggood.com/images/oaup...fabc26d878.JPG

Butt plug
    https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1gYhTX...220x220q90.jpg

No time to hard wire currently, don't want a "do-over" if it is crud.
    Ergo just want one that doesn't stuff a solitary cig butt socket.
    Ie USB -USB
    Also may want to swap it between vehicles initially, again hard-wire not the best option for now.
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    17 snowboards (ish)

E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    17 snowboards (ish)

That pic, is clearly in a hospital museum somewhere, it is of much "internet / pub legend" as a "happened when my mate was on shift" scenario in nigh on every hospital in this & other lands.

That pic popped up in my twitter feed & I think that must be the original that spawned stories to this day! ..you don't have to go far to find the rumour story!
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    17 snowboards (ish)

Thread Information