+ Reply to Thread

Default Smart 451 wheel bearings

When driving my 451 there is a drone when driving so I wondered if it could be wheel bearings I have jacked up the rear and spun both wheels they do make a reasonable amount of noise when spinning the noise is not break related and is bearing noise but in fairness how do I know if they have failed as I assume that the wheel must make some noise on spinning? I have wobbled both wheels laterally and there does not seem to be any play?

Default Re: Smart 451 wheel bearings

Inboard race rings of rear bearings fail first due to ingress of water through worn seal also inbord side.

It may be difficult initially to identify which bearing is droning but will be easier after some time when the bearing drone becomes unbearable.

If you intend to keep your Smart until the end of times, I strongly recommend fitting grease nipples on both rear bearings. Seal will be wiped clean and wetted in grease if you grease regularly. Life of bearing will be near eternal. On my 450 I fitted grease nipples on both rear bearings and grease ports on the front ones about 11 years ago. Still on the same bearings. No drone and no play.

Photo of a partly opened out rear 450 wheel bearing.

451 rear wheel bearing looks nearly identical. Has differnet spline for drive shaft.

Grease nipple fitted in centre of bolt.

Should the wheels spin silently when in the air?

Yes a wheel should spin silently but there may be some noise from differential housing.

You may feel a rumble if you grab wheel with both hands at six and twelve o’clock positions. Pull at six and push at twelve o’clock whilst rotating wheel about 60 degrees in both directions.

Wait until it gets worse if you cannot identify which bearing is worst. You may as well replace both. If one is failing the other side may fail soon.

Yeah, check the ‘box oil level cos it doesn’t get checked.
    fq101.co.uk

What is the best make of rear wheel bearing to purchase please

Thread Information