+ Reply to Thread

Default 450 panoramic roof polycarb or glass? crazing & leak prevention measure to take.

Whilst buying some (more) maguiars dressing with a u.v inhibitor I queried as to what protects the roof / side windows... haven't looked that intensely as to roof glass / plastic, but side window triangles obviously are plastic.

Nothing that Maguiars do within their range is applicable for "shoring up" & clear coat u.v. topping up, I was advised to look (call) 3M the master company.

So as my thread within a thread elsewhere hasn't garnered a solution, nor a search of here nor evilution it's time to simply ask via a new thread...

I don't have enough "smart" experience to know how many early models involved plastic or glass, just that the 451 can experiencs crazing & degradation, the 450 polycarbonate rears leak (potentially) so I ought to cover my backside where reasonably possible.

Turns out on another evilution search there is a page, (primarily for the 451) & a branded protector "303" (via ebay) is recommended as "tried" but no long term info as Kane moves about through the Smart brand.

SO were 451's the first to utilise the plastic panoramic roof or did it go earlier onto "some" of the later 450's
    Last edited by Mr Gus; 3rd October 2019 at 14:52.
    Smart (450 city coupe 0.7 pulse) 2003 "vintage" 45KW / 61 HP (M160/1)
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    E-Bike rider (lots of fun with knackered knees)
    17 snowboards (ish)
    Bitter drinker (not bitter)
    Cheapskate, Skateboarder,
    Old enough to know better.

Default Re: 450 panoramic roof oplycarb or glass? crazing & leak prevention measure to take.

451 was the first to use a polycarbonate roof.
    https://career-apps.webasto.com/int/...polycarbonate/
    The rear 1/4ís donít leak because of the material theyíre made of, rather because of the thick self adhesive sealing strip they used to close the gap between inside edge of the 1/4 window and the chassis.

All 450ís were proper toughened glass. **

** ok, for the pedantic - the 450 pure had a non-glass roof.
    Last edited by TheAlmostInvisibleMan; 2nd September 2019 at 19:29.
    fq101.co.uk

Default Re: 450 panoramic roof oplycarb or glass? crazing & leak prevention measure to take.

Thanks for clarifying that, & the knowledge makes me want to fiddle with the rear triangle window sealing strip even less now ��to

Looks like a wee bottle of 303 unless there are better alternatives?

Nb, I did tap the roof glass, it felt like glass & resonance was like glass, but best checking ��
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    17 snowboards (ish)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Gus View Post
    Thanks for clarifying that, & the knowledge makes me want to fiddle with the rear triangle window sealing strip even less now ��to

Looks like a wee bottle of 303 unless there are better alternatives?

Nb, I did tap the roof glass, it felt like glass & resonance was like glass, but best checking ��
    It is pretty damn fick and solidly attached so it will feel solid but if itís a 451 itís 200% polycarbonate
    fq101.co.uk

How many subsequent models had polycarbonate ?
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    17 snowboards (ish)

The rest

From 2007 (451 and 453) onwards had polycarbonate.

The glass roof was only on the original 450 1998-2007
    fq101.co.uk

They did a polycarbonate roof on the 450 as well but it was opaque.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post

** ok, for the pedantic - the 450 pure had a non-glass roof.
    Damn, an opportunity scuppered.

Thread Information