+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Non Air con 450 de-misting solution what's the best inner screen chemical?

Looked around, pretty much all of you (apart from those "about" to chime in) use your air con to keep interior fogging at bay,

having just cleaned the windows & applied some rain x to the windscreen it got me thinking as to how much of a biatch or not trying to resolve already wet interior is going to be, so I relaly ought get it done now..

I know 25 years ago rain x anti fog was a bit naff, how have things changed?

want to get it done in asap before cooling kicks in, recommendations gratefully received.

Having solved (hopefully) the slight wet patch via door seal replacement, & using a 99p store moisture trap it helps, but "hot bodies" n' that.
    Smart (450 city coupe 0.7 pulse) 2003 "vintage" 45KW / 61 HP (M160/1)
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    E-Bike rider (lots of fun with knackered knees)
    17 snowboards (ish)
    Bitter drinker (not bitter)
    Cheapskate, Skateboarder,
    Old enough to know better.

Default Re: Non Air con 450 de-misting solution what's the best inner screen chemical?

If the inside of your car is at all wet then it'll give you misting problems. I don't know the 450 but the carpet of a 452 Roadster can hold more water than you could ever imagine .... plus a but more.

Default Re: Non Air con 450 de-misting solution what's the best inner screen chemical?

Yes, this past winter/ spring combined with wife's need for heated on full blast steamed us up with aplomb, so I'm looking for some offsetting counterbalance I can then use in the leaf.
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    17 snowboards (ish)

My wife uses a cushion type dehumidifier thing to absorb air moisture in her 2004 450 Pulse which sits on the dashboard and is dried out periodically which does seem to work for her.

This might help: https://www.evilution.co.uk/Hints%20...humidifier.htm

I just use a normal, small domestic dehumidifier over night if I start steaming up, maybe once a year and never have any problems until next time.

Thanks for replies so far.

MJolinor, so you use an electrical unit for dehumidification to suck sitting moisture out of the cabin,? ..wondering how long it takes to creep back.

Living on the edge of the fens we get contrasting mornings of hanging mist which sit on the fields nearby, 3 pin electrical lead access is also a problem.
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    17 snowboards (ish)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Gus View Post
    MJolinor, so you use an electrical unit for dehumidification to suck sitting moisture out of the cabin,? ..wondering how long it takes to creep back.

It depends on so many variables, how much you breathe, how much you perspire, how many times you open the door, how much water you bring in on your feet and on your clothes, what the relative humidity (RH) is when you open and shut the doors, what the temperature is when you open and close the doors, what wet objects you like to leave in the car: Cloothing, boots and brollies etc, how warm or cold you like to have it .... etc etc.

Get yourself one of these, leave it in the car and you can monitor the fluctuations.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Temperature.../bn_7023464715
    fq101.co.uk

I do it much less than once a year, probably once every two years in my 451. I don't have air con either and that helps a lot with condensation in the cabin.

The first time you do it after curing leaks you will probably have to run it each night for a week to dry the carpets.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    I do it much less than once a year

Married life eh
    fq101.co.uk

Ah, so "deep seated" moisture that otherwise may not be evident by touch? (but does contribute to the winter effect) ..I get it (more than once per year) fnar-fnar.

I'll get my wood moisture meter out (fnar) & stick it......

question is, do I set it to that of a HARD wood or a soft wood!?

Makes me think that with all the hot / cold cyclical nature of cars I could do worse than fast "age" a barrel of whisky like hooch in the thing!
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    17 snowboards (ish)

Thread Information