+ Reply to Thread

Default 1984 synthetic engine oil

I’ve been tidying up a wee bit and found in my shed six litres of synthetic oil from 1984. At that time synthetic oil was rather expensive and I only used this oil for winter. Drained it early May and replaced with standard mineral oil. I wonder if this old oil now is still safe to use.

From memory this oil only saw limited service perhaps less than 1500 km in the OM314 engine of my MB 508D camper van from late October to early May. The Smart is now due an oil change and I wonder if I can use this old oil. Look forward to your opinions and advice folks.

Default Re: 1984 synthetic engine oil

As far as i know, oil does not "go off"over time, but if it has been used then it will have contaminates in it which might cause deterioration of it's lubricating properties.
    I should think it would be fine for short service use, but I doubt I would want to leave it in for a full 10,000 miles!

John

If it was sealed and unused I'd say yes. Since it's been sat with acidic combustion products in it for 25 years I'd have to say no.

Consider the potential cost of damage vs the ‘savings’ you think you’re making.

Use it in the lawnmower or put it on ebay as a classic NBNIB
    fq101.co.uk

Thread Information