+ Reply to Thread

Default Smart 453 - manual or auto?

Hi, I'm browsing for a used 453 ForTwo as a commuter/runabout, the manual cars are a bit cheaper are they ok to drive or is the auto much better? I'm aware the manual is only 5 speed, with a slightly shorter final drive. Is the shift smooth?

Default Re: Smart 453 - manual or auto?

Auto
    Auto
    Auto
    And finally
    Auto

ONLY

Manual car I was interested in now sold anyhow, ah well... back to the classifieds!

I'd get an auto as I like autos. I sold a perfectly good manual Peugeot 107 for a Smart 451 automatic and have since moved on to the auto 453.
    2019 Smart Fortwo Prime Premium Cabrio A453 Turbo 900cc 90hp
    R-Link Evolution Sat Nav/DAB with Android Auto, Bluetooth, USB, SD, AUX
    Heated Seats, Electric Mirrors, Air Con
    6-Speed Dual Clutch Automatic
    Rear Parking Sensors
    White with 15 Alloys

I have a 66 plate manual and I bought it off a Merc dealer when 9 months old with 3k on it. I didn't mind going for a manual because it would make a change from my other car a Smart 450 which for last 3/4 years I have always driven in fully auto (except when going up fast hills!). The manual 453 gearbox is fine as far as i am concerned and I do not have a problem with it; however, i do like driving my other car in fully auto and if it happened again, I would definitely choose an auto 453.

I drive both regularly and they're both very good boxes and therefore I guess its down to your preference?!
    If you live in a hilly area the shifts on the auto could get a little tiresome... that said, if its speed you're after and stretching every ounce out of the motor then i'd go for a manual
    BTW... orange and grey is the fastest colour

Thread Information