+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hire car smart?

Default Hire car smart?

Having come back from Switzerland / France recently I saw more than a few smarts (curiously enough).

My wife & I are when not carrying my snowboards (visit summer & winter) pack light, & soon it will likely be just the two of us in an unnecessarily massive hire car.

Now the problem is whenever we get to Geneva you are "upgraded" (we go for something no larger than a golf) ..& get given a bloody battle wagon MPV or similar.

This happened again the other day, we ended up with a long wheel base passat with 15 kilometres on the clock, diesel ...bleh! & way bigger than wanted & needed for a pootle round the alps.
    Parking inplaces like chamonix sud is a veritable bitch, so is there anywhere that I can get a small "micro car" either a hybrid, petrol or full EV? ...yes preferably a smart.

Worth asking here amongst the "devout"
    New to Smart (450 city coupe 0.7 pulse)
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    E-Bike rider (lots of fun with knackered knees)
    17 snowboards (ish)
    Bitter drinker (not bitter)
    Cheapskate, Skateboarder,
    Old enough to know better.

Default Re: Hire car smart?

NB, the 15 km new passat, developed engine warning problems (light) & another semi-related, within 2 days & had to be changed for another vehicle driven to us from geneva, ..shed-loads of extra, unnecessary mileage.

Only found 2 firms doing "rental" of a smart thus far...(& that's essentially a car share scheme thats available as longer term rental too).
    https://www.mobility.ch

& "sixt" *who say in an old page you can/ could book one but might not get one
    https://www.sixt.com/smart-rental/
    Last edited by Mr Gus; 6th June 2019 at 11:19.
    New to Smart (450 city coupe 0.7 pulse)
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    E-Bike rider (lots of fun with knackered knees)
    17 snowboards (ish)
    Bitter drinker (not bitter)
    Cheapskate, Skateboarder,
    Old enough to know better.

Default Re: Hire car smart?

Just had a Smart 4:4 auto in Portugal for a week.... hired from Sixt in Lisbon but spent its week in northern Portugal in and around Braga. A great little car for a trip up into the "mountains" and national park and I couldn't fault it. Certainly thrashed it on the motorways and it never missed a beat

Thread Information