+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Broke down this morning ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    It is only a matter of checking continuity from the OBD plug to every electronic box for two wires (the green ones). After that measure the resistance between the pair of wires. It should be 60 ohms with everything plugged in but it should be 120 ohms if you unplug one of the end devices. << from memory so may need checking.
    I know that continuity has been checked for damage to wiring ...

Quote Originally Posted by EmilysDad View Post
    I know that continuity has been checked for damage to wiring ...
    I am spending my life willing you to find the fault and report back, will you please hurry up and do that!!!!

Well John .... the general consensus arrived at by 2 Smart gurus is that my Smart has stopped .... never to go again

All the boxes of electrickery from my car will work on a known to be working car, all the known to be working boxes of electrickery have been fitted to my car and my car won't work. The car apparently thinks it's doing 250km/hr and then zero km/hr with no one touching the car, the main loom has been belled through with no obvious breaks in it.

Quote Originally Posted by EmilysDad View Post
    the main loom has been belled through with no obvious breaks in it.

That doesn't prove that there aren't shorts (even just partial and/or intermittent) between adjacent cables though.....
    fq101.co.uk

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

It has to be the loom.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

It has to be the loom.
    That's certainly what it seems .... the car being the constant .... but he said he'd bell'd through the loom and it all seemed OK. But why would a loom fail because an actuator failed?

I doubt that anyone has truly buzzed out out. That would take days because you have to test the continuity of every wire under load and also test for no continuity from every wire to every other wire. It takes a prohibitive amount of time to do that and is far easier to just get another loom.

The problem that the loom I have is off the car I scrapped for very similar symptoms so I wouldn't recommend that as a way forward.

It is hard to know what the way forward is from here. Thinking about it.

I doubt that anyone has truly buzzed out out. That would take days because you have to test the continuity of every wire under load and also test for no continuity from every wire to every other wire. It takes a prohibitive amount of time to do that and is far easier to just get another loom.

The problem that the loom I have is off the car I scrapped for very similar symptoms so I wouldn't recommend that as a way forward.

It is hard to know what the way forward is from here. Thinking about it.
    I'd imagine a brand new loom would be prohibitively expensive. Mercedes being Mercedes, it seems make make looms for a specific car as there doesn't seem to be spare wiring plugs for additional options.

I am wondering what the minimum is to make it function. Not worried about errors so things like ABS are not needed and no lights, door locks etc etc. The problem is that they interact so unnecessarily that is is hard to imagine rigging one up. Even the central locking can affect running because of immobilisers and such things.

I do also wonder if when buzzing out the loom they actually measured the impedance of the CAN bus. The specification is well defined so faults are easy (ish) to spot. Perhaps you should ask them if they have checked the impedances between the CAN wires.

Well ..... If I'd known they wouldn't be able to fix it either I'd have suggestex to Phil he could have bought it from me to break rather than tow it halfway down the country & then have the car off the road for another month or so but then end up with a bill not much less than the car was/is worth. I've agreed to sell it to them & call it quits.

Thread Information