+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dog transportation

Hi all,

We recently picked our little border terrier pup up and he's loving life.

I have been putting him in the boot of our 450 when we go out (2 of us in the car, plus the dog). This isn't ideal as he isn't tethered in anyway.

Just wondering what you guys do/where you attach them to?

Cheers!

Default Re: Dog transportation

Hey Karlos.

We have a 450.
    We take our strapping boxer bitch out with us in it.
    We also have a French bulldog pup who is currently 6 months (so about the size of your pup when yours is fully grown).

Caveat, neither myself nor my partner are overly tall, (sub 6 footer myself, with the wife at 5ft 4 -5.5 this ensures that her seat is MASSIVELY forward creating extra space for a large collapsible dog transporter for the pup, it takes down in 10 seconds but flat its footprint is still large in our nissan leaf.

Assuming (no info put forward) the pup is 12 weeks, & a small breed, a cat basket with blanket would probably suffice "but" not the greatest solution.

I'd get a rubber boot tray ( between 10 & 20 ish quid) so it limits paws, pee, poo's to a greater degree... look on ebay & amazon,we have them in our mercedes, & Leaf, ...not in the smart (yet). (keep scented wet wipes & poo bags to hand in case of up-chuck or worse.

This seller (i'm just buying one today) "7151jeanne" her last 10 boot tray for the 450, cheapest going currently of the type i'm after. so keep an eye out.

If one of you is smaller in stature than the other then that's really going to open up the possibilities of a larger better ventilated & more visible (eye to eye) canvas & steel fold down unit. behind either seat.

really though just measure your space & even cut a box to shape & size to see how snug or otherwise it would be...

Alternately if you used the evilution site for the ((A finer mesh)) cargo netting solution you'd be able to leave the rear area open for the pup as it gets older, the thick PVC based rubberised boot liner has a gripper pattern (but bags of shopping slide in our other vehicles) ...but that isn't a pup who will / should get used to laying down or looking out of a side window.

A harness helps for grabbing a squirmy pup, we have used "ruffwear" for the past 16 years & heartily recommend them on comfort & build, ...they've survived boxers after all, so was a natural choice for the frenchie.
    Smart (450 city coupe 0.7 pulse) 2003 "vintage" 45KW / 61 HP (M160/1)
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    E-Bike rider (lots of fun with knackered knees)
    17 snowboards (ish)
    Bitter drinker (not bitter)
    Cheapskate, Skateboarder,
    Old enough to know better.

Awesome reply cheers!

So the boxer isn't tied to anything secure in the boot? Guess the tight space and his size mean he can't get up to a great deal.

I was paid up to evolution, think it's just lapsed. Will sort it and have a look at that boot situation.

Definitely like the idea of that rubber floor mat, will get one of those anyway.

Main concern is that in the even of me slamming on, if I have to, he doesn't get hurt. in my car (1 series) his lead it's looped around the headrests and clipped to his harness,cand he sits in his bed on the back seat. Ideal as he can only move a foot or so arc.

boxer is mature so doesn't mess around so much, sits sideways & looks out of rear & side windows.

our "medium" sized puppy car box (meaning it takes up the 2 person seat of a split rear).
    sounds like you've done pretty much all you can in terms of the restraint, though could contemplate a bit of thick-ish foam wedged to the rear of the seat so at least an initial collision inertia impact would not be full force & somewhat mitigated by soft material compression, we used to whack each other on the heads with thick foam boards we used for speaker manufacturing they were a few inches thick & did not flex much, but didn't hurt any (just made sound) os anything is possible to be jerry-rigged between the rear & the metal seat back.

Just got to be careful with anything which is chewable & get at-able. (another potential problem to a teething, eye-watering pup)
    Last edited by Mr Gus; 15th May 2019 at 18:43.
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    17 snowboards (ish)

My dog is a fair size, so he goes in the boot of the Volvo instead.
    The difference between good and great is nothing more than effort and commitment.

You can get a dog guard for the 450.
    We always transported our dog in the back - he was completely at home in it

Last edited by 137699; 17th May 2019 at 09:47.

This is the kit:

Good use of a boot tray!
    Our frenchie has chewed one corner of his travelling box where the mesh is, but this is like apples & oranges by comparison, ...if the OP has one vehicle then it may well be a solution, if more than one they may wish to choose a box variant in order to facilitate the purchase of one item only .

However, out of my own interests what is the mesh like, & the fitting? are those rigid bars or something else?
    & how much?
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    17 snowboards (ish)

That dog guard looks great, will have to look out for one of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos28 View Post
    Hi all,

We recently picked our little border terrier pup up and he's loving life.

I have been putting him in the boot of our 450 when we go out (2 of us in the car, plus the dog). This isn't ideal as he isn't tethered in anyway.

Just wondering what you guys do/where you attach them to?

Cheers!
    Hi

I have a pug, I have a seat belt attachment but also a cage I got from Pets at Home, their own make, think it was about 23 quid, its the small one, I think a border terrier is about the same size as a pug, except pug is fatter ha ha it fits perfectly in the back of my smart. keeps my Betty safe.

hope that helps

Thread Information