thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub shop - the world's largest independent club for all things smart
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 451 Brakes

Default Re: 451 Brakes

The £ 177 was for a general service, the brakes were fine and didn’t need attention. My brother was worried about a £ 600 to £ 700 bill so was pleased when it only needed a service.
    2019 Smart Fortwo Prime Premium Cabrio A453 Turbo 900cc 90hp
    R-Link Evolution Sat Nav/DAB with Android Auto, Bluetooth, USB, SD, AUX
    Heated Seats, Electric Mirrors, Air Con
    6-Speed Dual Clutch Automatic
    Rear Parking Sensors
    White with 15” Alloys

I have the same problem with my new (to me) 2008 Smart 451, the brakes are spongy and the pedal goes half way to the floor, but the actual stopping power is ok. The pedal firms up after a couple of pumps but goes straight back to being soft.

I swapped the pads for new ones but it didn't make any difference, and the discs are fine, so the next step is to bleed the brakes I guess. Looking at the service history it hasn't had a brake fluid change for a while but the reservoir is full.

After that I'll try braided brake hoses, as rubber hoses can stretch as they get old reducing hydraulic pressure. My Lotus Elise had that exact problem with its rubber clutch hose; fitting a braided hose made the world of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ash73 View Post
    I have the same problem with my new (to me) 2008 Smart 451, the brakes are spongy and the pedal goes half way to the floor, but the actual stopping power is ok. The pedal firms up after a couple of pumps but goes straight back to being soft.

I swapped the pads for new ones but it didn't make any difference, and the discs are fine, so the next step is to bleed the brakes I guess. Looking at the service history it hasn't had a brake fluid change for a while but the reservoir is full.

After that I'll try braided brake hoses, as rubber hoses can stretch as they get old reducing hydraulic pressure. My Lotus Elise had that exact problem with its rubber clutch hose; fitting a braided hose made the world of difference.
    It is probably your rear brakes. You can tell if you try it with the handbrake on and with it off and note the difference in pedal height.

I'd agree with Mjo .... self adjust brake shoes often don't.

Interesting thanks, there's a slight difference in pedal feel with the handbrake on but it's still mushy. I haven't adjusted drum brakes before; I'll bleed the brakes first (I bought a one way valve to do that) and then probably admit defeat and take it to the local garage!

Our brakes were checked over during the service and there was nothing wrong with them. We put it down to the user not being used to the car.

The car had new brake fluid and were bled at a service the year before.
    2019 Smart Fortwo Prime Premium Cabrio A453 Turbo 900cc 90hp
    R-Link Evolution Sat Nav/DAB with Android Auto, Bluetooth, USB, SD, AUX
    Heated Seats, Electric Mirrors, Air Con
    6-Speed Dual Clutch Automatic
    Rear Parking Sensors
    White with 15” Alloys

Quote Originally Posted by ash73 View Post
    Interesting thanks, there's a slight difference in pedal feel with the handbrake on but it's still mushy. I haven't adjusted drum brakes before; I'll bleed the brakes first (I bought a one way valve to do that) and then probably admit defeat and take it to the local garage!
    If you adjust the shoes too much you'll not get the drum back on 😉 Drums brakes are quite straight forward 😊

Sometimes worth replacing the drums too , you’ll have to gauge wear
    fq101.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by EmilysDad View Post
    If you adjust the shoes too much you'll not get the drum back on 😉 Drums brakes are quite straight forward 😊
    You dont need to remove the drums in order to adjust the rear brakes.
    Here is the very simple procedure:
    Step on the foot brake and hold, then while holding: Pull and release the handbrake numerous times.
    Every time you pull it, the auto adjusters will advance, tightening up the play between the shoes and the drum.
    If you follow this prcedure from time to time, you will good brakes. Works on all smarts.
    Incidently, this is the way the smart mechanics do it, it is in their WIS procedures.
    Bjorn

I know. I assumed that a proper check on the brakes was going to be carried out .....

Thread Information