+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Anybody replaced a valve guide?

Iíve got my sucker on a stick and can of paste at the ready. This activity hasnít changed over time, I remember doing this years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Anybody replaced a valve guide?

Years ago when I had to replace valves on my Honda VF400(4 valves per 100cc cylinder) I used a piece of thin pipe over the valve stem and then managed to attach it to a hand drill to speed up the operation.
    You might be able to do the same .
    2002 pure semi auto 64000 miles

Default Anybody replaced a valve guide?

there was a tool you could get from Halfords that rotated a sucker backwards and forwards when used with a drill. Never had one but maybe they still exist. Iíll probably just do it by hand the old way. Iíve even got a tin of engineers blue somewhere, if I can ever find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have re-cut seats and reground valves then it should only take 15 seconds or so to grind each in.

Under no circumstances should you ever use a drill to do it, piles of heartbreak and woe will ensue.

Gunson Eezi-Lap. Saves hours of manual valve lapping.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen123 View Post
    Gunson Eezi-Lap. Saves hours of manual valve lapping.
    Unless you are doing a lot of heads you are doing it wrong if it takes hours by hand.

I am simply quoting from the manual.
    Anyway it takes more than a few seconds to lap in a valve. Shiny metal on valve seal area must be lapped until it turns grey. Takes minimum 3 minutes per valve with the Eezi-Lap powered by a good Lidl cordless drill.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen123 View Post
    I am simply quoting from the manual.
    Anyway it takes more than a few seconds to lap in a valve. Shiny metal on valve seal area must be lapped until it turns grey. Takes minimum 3 minutes per valve with the Eezi-Lap powered by a good Lidl cordless drill.
    Takes under 15 seconds with a newly cut seat and a newly faced valve if they have been cut correctly. That is assuming all the rest is in good order. I have done hundreds of them in the last 50 years on hundreds of reconditioned heads from all manner of engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Takes under 15 seconds with a newly cut seat and a newly faced valve if they have been cut correctly. That is assuming all the rest is in good order. I have done hundreds of them in the last 50 years on hundreds of reconditioned heads from all manner of engines.
    100% this, lapping should be a very quick operation if the valves and seats are fresh. Grinding away for hours to get badly pitted seats to seal recesses the valve and is a good indication that they should have been recut.

Just wonder if 15 seconds is average lap time?

Thread Information