+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sell or Stash?

Default Sell or Stash?

I've owned my 2002 Smart Fortwo (City-Coupe, to give it the period correct name) for nearly two years. For the eleven years previous to that it was registered to my partner, so it has been "our" car for almost 13 years. We bought it privately at 4 years old having wanted one for ages, can still remember the trip home from buying it.

Over the last few years it has been used less and less, covering fewer than 1500 miles since the last MOT. Due to a forthcoming change of working situation, plus the fact that the car is garaged 7 miles from home nowadays, I think the use will dwindle even further.

I'm giving serious thought to selling the car. Though money is not the main motivation, the potential savings in running costs plus garage rental cannot be ignored.

I could potentially stash it in the corner of a relative's garage, but space would be very tight and it isn't ideal. It would be sorn'd and the insurance cancelled so a trip round the block every so often would not be possible. However, it would be dry, secure and left connected to a battery conditioner plus I would plan on keeping it MOT'd.

Has anyone else let their Smart go after long term ownership? Did you regret it? Perhaps you've squirreled it away ready to bring out again in the future?

Thanks for the opportunity to have a bit of a thought-dump.
    Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool....

Default Re: Sell or Stash?

Use it.... Lend it to a relative. No vehicle will like being "mothballed", all the rubber bits dry out, Rust takes hold and rots things out because that little bit of condensation remains as water.

John

Yeah, unless you can afford to put it in a climate controlled environment, just use it.

It owes you nothing, but has memories.

Find a cheap(er) insurance policy that will insure based on the low miles.
    fq101.co.uk

Thanks folks.

I need to give it some more thought. Parking it up long-term certainly isn't a favourite option as doubtless there would be issues when I come to use it again. It's a bit of a head vs heart battle at the minute. Head says sell, heart hasn't decided just yet....

I've become less sentimental as I age - possibly as a reaction to my wife's constant requests for space to store more stuff that will never be used again.
    So if it were me I'd at least try and sell, or even give, it to someone who would continue to use it. Even as a donor for someone else's car (these are old cars now) would be more useful than just rotting in a dark corner.
    If no one would take it off me then I'd be where you are now, except it would be keep or scrap
    (I'd probably scrap ... Like I said, I'm getting ruthless )
    Last edited by dpmike; 10th April 2019 at 09:04.
    2016, ForTwo cabriolet, 900 turbo, DCT, Prime Premium, unmodified.

Sell. If you can't stash it properly in a a Carcoon or such like it'll only deteriorate if left unused.
    2004 Smart Fortwo Passion Cabrio, low miles, summer toy.
    2019 Fortwo Prime SE 900 - Gone, not missed.
    2019 Volvo XC90 T8 R Design, 400bhp hybrid insanity family wagon for the Wife.
    2019 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription, my own personal scoot.

Thanks for the thoughts folks, apologies for the delay in coming back.

The car had its MOT this week and passed with no advisories, so is a good time to sell. Slight issue is that the mileage is 66k. No engine rebuild and no signs of needing one, but this may put people off.

There are a few trips I want to make in the car so I'm going to do these over the next few weeks then make a final decision.

Thread Information