thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub shop - the world's largest independent club for all things smart
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 453 buyer

Default Re: 453 buyer

I believe this is the head unit of the non premium 453, it does have Bluetooth and USB...

This is the Smart Media System I have in my premium 453 although mine is black...

The USB, SD card and AUX ports of the Smart Media System arenít located on the head unit itself but near the handbrake in the centre of the car.

Pics taken from this excellent resource...

https://www.evilution.co.uk/ice/smart_stereo_types.htm
    Last edited by nlel; 27th March 2019 at 20:17.
    2019 Smart Fortwo Prime Premium Cabrio A453 Turbo 900cc 90hp
    R-Link Evolution Sat Nav/DAB with Android Auto, Bluetooth, USB, SD, AUX
    Heated Seats, Electric Mirrors, Air Con
    6-Speed Dual Clutch Automatic
    Rear Parking Sensors
    White with 15Ē Alloys

Hi new to Smarts i have had around 3 of the older model for twos with the jerky auto trans and to be honest i liked the turbo petrols i had which all had the paddleshift which i got used to taking my foot off slightly when changing gears and it worked.
    I now have a for two 2016 blacvk edition which is a turbo with paddleshift and its a great improvement as its lowered springs is better handling and fast as well.

Just a footnote to this. Against my initial better judgement I got a 0.9. I quickly grew tired of the gruff engine and poor power delivery, so after a little less than 3 months sold it, fortunately not losing too much in the process. If you like them then great, but it just wasn't for me.

The 450 remains though.
    The difference between good and great is nothing more than effort and commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    Just a footnote to this. Against my initial better judgement I got a 0.9. I quickly grew tired of the gruff engine and poor power delivery, so after a little less than 3 months sold it, fortunately not losing too much in the process. If you like them then great, but it just wasn't for me.

The 450 remains though.
    Coupled with a manual Ďbox or the DCT ?

Iím surprised, Iíve come from many 451/450 models from the last 18/19 years and the 453 was a natural progressive improvement on all those previous cars...

Gruff engine ?!? (For it to have a slight growl is a plus point)

Poor power delivery ?!? (Really ?? If itís the DCT, itís as smooth as can be, maybe it might be considered a rougher drive in the manual cos youíre not able to match the clutch control of the DCT)
    fq101.co.uk

Manual box.

In most areas it was an undoubted advance on the 450, braking, handling, ride, comfort, but having driven many different small bore 3 pot turbos before and since it's not a nice power delivery and not terribly smooth. It's definitely lacking in charm and character - I'll be dead in the cold, cold ground before parting with my 450.

As I say though, it is a taste thing as much as anything, and Mrs Chopper didnt mind it at all, and plenty of other people seem to love them. Just not me, I just didn't dig it.
    The difference between good and great is nothing more than effort and commitment.

It does make a lovely gruff noise, I canít describe it fully, but there are moments (low revs but putting power on) where it just sounds lovely. (Say in 1st or 2nd pulling away hard) Throaty maybe , Iím not sure even if itís the intake or zorst.

Mine made a bit over the top noise until it dawned on me the zorst was blown, at the flexi. They replaced it out of warranty (after pushing somewhat I might add, I had a courtesy car for 7 weeks whilst they argued the case with head orifice. )
    Anyway itís working well right - cross fingers.

If itís not for you , itís not for you. Thatís

Iím really not sure what Iím gonna do when I wear this one out , itíll be a big shock, Iím in free road tax right now... so most changes will cost me road tax increase at least.... as well as car length...and fun.
    I actually thought of a VW golf (or polo) auto for a brief spell earlier this year... Iím not fully conversant with the models.
    One thing is certain - the electric smart - as it stands - is right out - 200% out
    Last edited by TheAlmostInvisibleMan; 18th September 2019 at 18:55.
    fq101.co.uk

I'm looking to hit the auction up again for a new(er) smart so have been reading this thread with interest, prior to today i've been (obviously) concentrating on gleaning knowledge on my 450.

If the lady across the road likes it, then i'll be looking at the possibility of locating her a slightly more updated smart fortwo, likely a 1 litre unless there are inherent problems related to them?

if you were going for a cheap second hand smart what would you steer clear from besides early MHD's?

Forewarned & forearmed etc.
    Smart (450 city coupe 0.7 pulse) 2003 "vintage" 45KW / 61 HP (M160/1)
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    E-Bike rider (lots of fun with knackered knees)
    17 snowboards (ish)
    Bitter drinker (not bitter)
    Cheapskate, Skateboarder,
    Old enough to know better.

Thread Information