+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Smart media TomTom update.

I've had an email from TomTom to carry out a critical update by the 6th April 2019. Has anyone else had this and carried out the update?

Default Re: Smart media TomTom update.

Ps... I've heard back from TomTom in answer to me querying the validity of the email and its legit.

Yes I've had one too

Update done which was very easy. A lot of people ain't going to be happy when their TomTom goes tits up!!

I read today that this update affects 25k+ vehicles in the UK, is nobody else interested?

It can affect all sorts of GPS that isn't web connected and which doesn't self update, but few seem to care. No one seems able to give a straight answers as to how badly the date discrepnacy affects accuracy. If it's only a loss of resolution of a metre or two it matters little. It its half a mile, kr even an inability to get a lock at all, it starts to get a bit annoying.

Edit - according to Garmin, navigation and location will function as normal. It's stuff like estimated journey times, arrival time, displayed clock times etc, which rely on the correct clock time which will be affected. Navigation and location instead relies on differences in timing between signals from multiple satellites and this, they say, will remain unaffected. If that's corrects it might not be quite as irksome as I'd thought.
    Last edited by Chopper; 30th March 2019 at 06:46.
    2004 Smart Fortwo Passion Cabrio, low miles, summer toy.
    2019 Fortwo Prime SE 900 - Gone, not missed.
    2019 Volvo XC90 T8 R Design, 400bhp hybrid insanity family wagon for the Wife.
    2019 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription, my own personal scoot.

If that ^^^ is all that's affected I'll wait till the service in a month or two and ask them to do it.
    (We've never had any notification - would it self update as it has Live info on it?)
    (Actually, this is the only place I've heard of any sat nav update being required, so it can't be much of a thing.)
    2016, ForTwo cabriolet, 900 turbo, DCT, Prime Premium, unmodified.

Well, having had a look on the Tom Tom website about this change it sounds like it might cause the clocks (the media centre digital and the analogue clock in the pod) to read the wrong time, which would be annoying. So as I had nothing better to do I've done the update myself. A bit tedious as it appears to load a complete system rather than a patch, but ho hum.

Thank you to devonuk for bringing it up. As I said above, I've not seen any other news about it, which is odd as it seems to be an 'all GPS' thing and not TT or Smart specific.
    2016, ForTwo cabriolet, 900 turbo, DCT, Prime Premium, unmodified.

Quote Originally Posted by dpmike View Post
    Well, having had a look on the Tom Tom website about this change it sounds like it might cause the clocks (the media centre digital and the analogue clock in the pod) to read the wrong time, which would be annoying. So as I had nothing better to do I've done the update myself. A bit tedious as it appears to load a complete system rather than a patch, but ho hum.

Thank you to devonuk for bringing it up. As I said above, I've not seen any other news about it, which is odd as it seems to be an 'all GPS' thing and not TT or Smart specific.

Spoke to 2 owners yesterday who'd had issues with their TomTom since early April and both of whom didn't have any contact from Smart telling them about it!

Do I need to do this update? I have a new car registered on 19/02/19 with the Smart modified R-Link Evolution Sat Nav/DAB Radio and it's still displaying the correct time.
    2019 Smart Fortwo Prime Premium Cabrio A453 Turbo 900cc 90hp
    R-Link Evolution Sat Nav/DAB with Android Auto, Bluetooth, USB, SD, AUX
    Heated Seats, Electric Mirrors, Air Con
    6-Speed Dual Clutch Automatic
    Rear Parking Sensors
    White with 15 Alloys

Thread Information