+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Got me a Smart, it isn't well!

Hi all

So after liking the look for ages I finally took the plunge and bought one the other day. A lovely little 2009 Passion MHD 1L in grey/silver.

Now that was the good bit, the bad bit is it isn't at all well!

The following is a long story, long story short I think am looking for someone who can upgrade the transmission software near Kingston upon Thames or preferably someone who is mobile that can do it.

Driving Friday using the semi auto setting & it kept going into neutral & would not go back into gear until I had turned it off for a few minutes. It would then start & do the same thing after half a mile or so.

The engine light came on & the spanners were there, the second was flashing but no 3 lines which I believe means the clutch.

Had a quick Google & someone said do not use the semi auto & put it in full auto. Did this and it went a fair bit further, say mile & a half and the same thing happened but then I waited & the next time it got me home, some 25 miles or so.

All went well for 20 miles or so as was going a good steady speed but the last mile & a half it started kangarooing & was really jumpy, it was then not selecting the gears as quick & was not selecting first straight away so it would rev and then kick in.

So as I say I have had a bit of a read & it seems there could be many issues! I'm thinking my options are:
    - get the software updated, clear faults & see if that works, I was told that the second flashing spanner indicates this
    - grease the actuator or if that doesn't work change it
    - if none of the above clutch, then maybe gearbox!!!

Any thoughts would be gratefully received, as would a garage or preferably a mobile mechanic who could do the software update.

Thanks for reading!

Paul

Default Re: Got me a Smart, it isn't well!

I'd be taking it back ......

Regrettably later Smart cars are no good so get rid of it now before waisting time on money fixing the incurable.

Quote Originally Posted by EmilysDad View Post
    I'd be taking it back ......
    Not an option as bought at auction sold as seen, got for a good price though - always a reason!

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen123 View Post
    Regrettably later Smart cars are no good so get rid of it now before waisting time on money fixing the incurable.
    Oh no that is a shame to hear. Although I have to say after reading a few forums I am concerned!

Ignore Tolsen’s closed mind opinion , he’s stuck in a time warp with one of the original models from way back and thinks every other model is junk.

Your fault sounds like the clutch actuator is failing (or has failed), not too cheap (couple of hundred) , but you got the car for cheap so you have some spare funds

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GJyztT...me_continue=31

Also take a look at this vid:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrmCtAG-I0k

Full auto and semi auto are much the same thing, just in full auto the car (or rather the software) chooses when to change gear (but uses the exact same mechanisms to carry out this task), so you’ll find if you have a electromechanical problem it will exhibit in both modes.

The gearbox software only needs updating if you’re having problems selecting reverse on the 451 model, so I’d be concentrating on electromechanical problems first.

The spanner’s showing is telling you it needs a service.... which I’d suggest you do... at the least an oil and filter change, and check condition of air filter and replace as required.

You can then reset the spanners yourself with a button combo.
    http://www.fq101.co.uk/how-to-guides...-counter-reset

Stop worrying about the gearbox itself, they can wear out, but it’s only a manual ‘box in there, there’s nothing special inside.
    Last edited by TheAlmostInvisibleMan; 2nd February 2019 at 21:31.
    fq101.co.uk

Put your location in your profile. If you are near me I have a new clutch actuator in the box that you can try.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Put your location in your profile. If you are near me I have a new clutch actuator in the box that you can try.
    He's nowhere near you Mjolinor , he is however only 18 miles/30 minutes from Big Performance in Chobham GU24 8HX

(cos he says in 2nd post he's in Kingston upon Thames)
    fq101.co.uk

If I may put my tuppence ha-penny in, MHD's tend to remain unsold in car auction houses, they repeatedly appear in the weekly listings over & over (same vehicles)... not many wishing to "turn cars over" professionally will touch them especially "sold as seen"
    Due to the throughput of car auctions innacuracies appear such as not stating MHD for an earlier vehicle or debadged & not stated in the listing as MHD in the title but squeezed in where speed reading bites you in the butt.

As stated previously I'm not a car trader, but I also bought mine at auction, the more MHD's there are the fiercer the competition gets for non MHD ..from what the wife & I have seen (speculatively, & speaking to a few folk who see us regularly ..from looking for an E.V).

based on the smarts fix em & set you free.. (warranty fix & the next one is chargeable) i'm not keen to go the old MHD route either, (thus my early question to understand how the stop start had progressed from MHD branded onwards, ..evilution page on them pretty damning to this day also where they are concerned for joe / joanne public who don't wish to coax a vehicle along (& rely on garages for fixes).

It is a fairly established & damning reputation in relation to the brand & a cars value from a commercial aspect whether it has validity or not.

Just hope the OP is mechanically minded, less stress & earache from an "other half"

My Smart was also sold as seen, but I was reasonably lucky (fingers remain crossed).

All that aside, these smart fans are knowledgeable having "been there done that" ..so there is potential OP.
    Last edited by Mr Gus; 3rd February 2019 at 10:11.
    New to Smart (450 city coupe 0.7 pulse)
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    E-Bike rider (lots of fun with knackered knees)
    17 snowboards (ish)
    Bitter drinker (not bitter)
    Cheapskate, Skateboarder,
    Old enough to know better.

Smart never sorted out the MHD thereby letting down hundreds of thousands MHD owners. That is reason enough for boycotting Smart and the parent company Mercedes.

Thread Information