Although temporarily remaining open for new threads and posts (following the very kind messages and emails), all Forum information, posts and threads will remain visible until 28th February 2021 after which point thesmartclub Forum service will close.  Links to thesmartclub and The smart Racing Club social media pages are available via thesmartclub.co.uk homepage.  In addition, you have full and free access to every issue of 4site smart Magazine via that same homepage facility.  

Our thanks to the 35,000+ users who Registered for our Forums services for the past 20 years - your registration details will be deleted in line with our Privacy Policy wef 28th February 2021.

For any questions, please see the Contact Us sections from thesmartclub.co.uk homepage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Water ingress in footwells around centre console

Hmm. Looked on Evilution and found the location of the cruciform hose. Didn't manage to reach it by turning the wheel, the arch liner was in the way. Took the grille off and foglight out and could nearly reach it, took the front panel off and that gave me a slightly bigger opening at the foglight position - reached the hose and the end is not blocked. Maybe there's a blockage further up the pipe but it wasn't obvious how to get at it, and I didn't want to dismantle any further today as I need it running in the morning.

So I think I'll try more dismantling from inside the cabin next.

Nothing to dismantle in the car.

Did you try putting s screwdriver or something similar up the rubber one way valve? The hole for it is in the interior filters tray.
    If you find the flap valve / grill to divert air into the cabin and you discover water in there, you can drill a small hole to let the water out into a jar or something. That is actually what the one way valve is for on the outside of the firewall.

Are you losing coolant? That is the only other source of liquid to that part of the car. Possibly faulty heater matrix, or faulty joint of faulty pipe. Dismantling the Dash and center console is not difficult, but is time consuming.

John

Thanks. I don't think I've found the right flap valve / grill to divert air into the cabin yet - I've poked around the centre where the air emerges, and found the flap that diverts air to the footwell or the dash, but not found any water so need to have a better look and fully understand what's there.

I've made a bit more progress, which I'll report for anyone having similar problems (or just looking for an easier way to change the pollen filter):

I concluded that the best way to check the drain in the cabin air duct was from the inside of the duct. I don't like taking the front panel off, as the fixings are getting a bit brittle after 18 years, but read that it was possible to get access to the cabin filter via the service grill - and it is:

Park the wipers with the blades vertical, by turning off the ignition, and remove the key to ensure they can't run. This gets the wiper linkage out of the way. Remove the hatch, lift the filler hose for the screenwash out of its clips and move it down out of the way, then release the clips circled and lift the cover off and out through the hatch.

Not being able to get my head through the hatch, I put a camera in. The photo below shows the filter box with the intake duct on the right and the drain hole (arrowed). The pollen filter isn't present to the blue outline shows where it would be, just for orientation.

I poured water into the duct and watched it drain happily down the hole. So that's not where my leak is coming from.

Any ideas where else I can look for the source of the leak? It seems to be in the centre of the car, and mostly draining into the left footwell (it's a LHD car).

Just to rule things out, have a look in the battery box, there is a rubber bung in the side wall of the box which although it is below the floor, ant water managing to splash through it could end up on the bottom of the carpet and wick further in to the car.

Other possibility if it is not coming from either the door seal, the windscreen is the heater martix. That would require you to remove the dash and the centre console to access to check for leaks.

John

Blocked AC drain pipe.

Thanks both. Battery box I know is dry, that footwell has only a trace of dampness, the other side is wet. I don't think it's door seals, as it seems to come from the centre of the car. The coolant level is static over years, so the heater isn't leaking.

The windscreen and the AC drain are a possibilities, I'll think about how to check those. The AC is not in use as it's fully degassed due to a leak in the condenser and without know how long the car will last it hasn't seemed worth fixing.

So AC condensate leak is firmly ruled out.
    Then all I can think of is door seal on the wet side. Water runs along door seal and enters footwell via the two small recesses for the screws that hold wing mirror interior covers. Rather silly of Smart to align seal exactly in middle of these recesses.

Fix: Push a half foam ear plug into the deeper recess. Then tape over each recess using Lidl electro tape.

It's definitely leaking from the windscreen, probably all the way along but exiting from the centre as the lowest point. While examining that I have also noticed a crack in the screen (no, I didn't hit it!) so I hope the insurance will replace it (it will cost me the excess) and that the replacement won't leak.

New windscreen fitted today. The fitter reckons the old one would have fallen out if I'd hit anything as it was effectively debonded from the Tridion. So now I can get the inside fully dry and see if it stays that way.

I guess other Fortwos that have been parked outside for 18 years may be in a similar condition?

Thread Information