+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Water ingress in footwells around centre console

ok, just had a re-think about this & before pressing the buy button, how can I be certain which adjoining seal is defective?
    As far as I can tell the tridion seal is plump & firm, but holds water in a certain point, (with some wet under the carpet, am I going to find it was actually the door seal upon replacement & not the chassis seal? ..any way of verifying which has failed or merely down to trial & error?
    New to Smart (450 city coupe 0.7 pulse)
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    E-Bike rider (lots of fun with knackered knees)
    17 snowboards (ish)
    Bitter drinker (not bitter)
    Cheapskate, Skateboarder,
    Old enough to know better.

The 450 only has one rubber seal and that is fitted to the Tridion. The inner plastic shell of the door and the windows glass then are closed up against the seal to prevent water from entering.

One more thing you can check before you buy replacement door seals, loosen the door hinges and rest the door in the hole. It's possible that through wear or a bump that the door is no longer sitting correctly against the seal.

Also make sure that the window when up is under the rubber door seal and not just squashing it. Adjustment is done with the door skin off, so don't try taking that off if the temperature is less than about 10 degrees C.

John

Ah, you beauty!

Thanks for that John, a complete checklist will stop any gnawing self doubt! the water isn't a gushing torrent (currently) & the carpet is raised by the 1.00 moisture trap which remains dry.

I'll nip out & have a look at loosening off the door (tools pending), & check over the window closure as you state (mindful of outdoor temps).

Appreciated

Gus
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    17 snowboards (ish)

Have you found the replacement door seals Gus? I need some for ours really but I haven't seen many reports of people buying good ones.

Interesting thread.

I bought new door seals for my Smart a few years ago. Came in at just under 100 for the pair but think they've gone up a fair bit nowadays.

Mine still leaks despite trying various things. Eventually, I put an ice scraper under the carpet with a small towel underneath it. Ice scraper kept the car carpet lifted up and so remained dry, towel absorbed the water. Bit ghetto. "Solved" by keeping it in the garage when not in use...
    Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool....

Sorry for not answering sooner Karlos, I had a bit of a hiatus with them (ie too much of ebay chinese stuff, not sure what profile I needed.

Anyway thought I'd best have a look again & bingo, genuine, hardly used (allegedly) & due for delivery shortly, ...I had a look at the door angles & gaps on either side, that didn't clue me in as to "door drop" but as the originals are 16 years old I tried plumping spray (not the recommended one) didn't make any difference, & so will fit the new one asap.

Try this German listing (ebay uk) Pasenger side for LHD vehicle note! (ie driver side here) ..for starters

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Door-Seal...frcectupt=true

Big seller of smart parts, ie may save you a lot of time / grief
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/smart-wer...cat=4975546014
    Last edited by Mr Gus; 21st May 2019 at 16:49.
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    17 snowboards (ish)

Thread Information