+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Water ingress in footwells around centre console

Sounds very hopeful! ..fingers crossed
    Smart (450 city coupe 0.7 pulse) 2003 "vintage" 45KW / 61 HP (M160/1)
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    E-Bike rider (lots of fun with knackered knees)
    17 snowboards (ish)
    Bitter drinker (not bitter)
    Cheapskate, Skateboarder,
    Old enough to know better.

Smile Re: Water ingress in footwells around centre console

Quote Originally Posted by Chris3005 View Post
    New windscreen fitted today. The fitter reckons the old one would have fallen out if I'd hit anything as it was effectively debonded from the Tridion. So now I can get the inside fully dry and see if it stays that way.

I guess other Fortwos that have been parked outside for 18 years may be in a similar condition?

What's the latest on this (did you dry it afterwards with a dehumidifier)?

Dry since?

NB whats the latest on a new windscreen price (nice to know)
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    17 snowboards (ish)

It seems OK so far, but the weather has been mostly dry and cold, so not much opportunity for leaks, nor for drying out fully. I don't have a dehumidifier, so far I've just been stuffing dry towels under the carpets, and have been busy with other things. The screen fitter did say "I bet your carpets are wet" so I think the screen was definitely the cause - just hope it was the only cause.

I don't know the price of a screen, and I hope I don't find out; it was an insurance claim due to being cracked so I only paid the excess.

thanks for the info.

If the car is used regularly hopefully you can use some poundstretcher dessicant moisture catchers for when the air is hot & humid from heating up (a reason to suffer full strength heat & assist getting the car dry in this wetter season.

see a few going cheap on elite liquidations (ebay) periodically! ..amazon returns, got some good stuff from them.

cold air will just waste time & efficiency of what a unit pulls, a regular bedroom (mine) pulls 2.5 litres of water every 3 days with a bit of background heating (context).

If its overly wet in the car i'd lift & peel back & run a fan heater or similar with the windows cracked so both sides of carpet are drying , ..if you have a driveway!? ..long time till summer again otherwise.

NB I was propping passenger footwell carpet with dessicant moisture remover over summer, it helped massively, cotton towels just sit & "funk"
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    17 snowboards (ish)

Thanks - actually we do have some desiccant bags, we used them to dry the car out generally before we realised the water was under the carpets, I'll try them under the carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris3005 View Post
    Thanks - actually we do have some desiccant bags, we used them to dry the car out generally before we realised the water was under the carpets, I'll try them under the carpet.
    You just need to put old newspapers under the carpet to soak up the water

Lift the edge of the carpets, put the centre of a kitchen paper towel roll in to hold the carpet up, push it in as far as you can, then use a vacuum cleaner on blow to blow down the paper towel roll. This will force air into the centre of the car and it will have to come out into the door opening, i.e. the damp air will exit the vehicle!
    When you need to use the car, you buy some cheap towels from a charity shop, stuff one in under the carpet. When you tread on the carpet, it will force water out and into the towel. Just remember to change the towel very frequently - otherwise it will just get damp and soggy and start to smell.

The longer you can run the vacuum cleaner on blow the quicker the carpet will dry out.

All of this means nothing if you don't fix the leak that is letting in the water in the first place!

John

Thread Information