+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Possible immobiliser foibles ahead?

So... The car is stored in a lockup, it's hovering around freezing point this morning... I open the garage door, start the car up - noticing that the dashboard indicator (turn signal) lamp is on, check lights, all working fine. I assume something annoying but irrelevant...

Back car out, turn off engine briefly to lock garage doors... Car won't start because the immobiliser lock symbol is on (and so is the indicator lamp) - much fiffing and faffing, locking the car, unlocking the car, pressing of unlock button, finally I see a '1' on the dash (and the indicator lamp is off as normal) put it into neutral starts, runs fine, run wife to work etc...

Now back home, car locked safely away again, but will be out for the school run (my daughter's a teacher) shortly... wondering what magical incantation/voodoo is necessary to ensure no further panic.

- Did the car perhaps just baulk at the double-cold start I wonder? - Although there was something odd about that indicator being on, and this smells more of immobiliser to me. It's not complained about the cold before (had it for a few years now) but in winters past it's been kept outside (not possible now) and been a case of start-n-go.

Default Re: Possible immobiliser foibles ahead?

The indicators coming on randomly suggests a possible SAM problem. May be worth dragging it out and checking for any water damage.

Whilst I cannot offer any technical advice, I'm too new to smarts for that, may I ask if the lock up has electric? ..ie , plunging temps & plunging battery voltage?

Either way, is it possible to buy a ctek charger (other brands also available) or fit a quick charge clip for rotation, once per month? for a "keeping on top of it" quick desulphation of the plates, & voltage topper upper!? ..based on woes of other vehicles this is my standard for accessible but awkward batteries, once fitted, you can potentially book up a charge in seconds. (Merc a class, b class stored in floor)

My 450 gets minimal use, this way with all the potential smart quirks we hopefully negate a few by dint of better battery maintainance, a cheap-assed Ali express dual usb, & battery voltage monitor (1.56 delivered) also gives me an idea of whether I'm pushing it between periodic charges).

Hope it's as simple as a cold weather snap to resolve. ..however unlikely.
    New to Smart (450 city coupe 0.7 pulse)
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    E-Bike rider (lots of fun with knackered knees)
    17 snowboards (ish)
    Bitter drinker (not bitter)
    Cheapskate, Skateboarder,
    Old enough to know better.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Quinn View Post
    Back car out, turn off engine briefly to lock garage doors... Car won't start because the immobiliser lock symbol is on (and so is the indicator lamp) - much fiffing and faffing, locking the car, unlocking the car, pressing of unlock button, finally I see a '1' on the dash (and the indicator lamp is off as normal) put it into neutral starts, runs fine, run wife to work etc...

Now back home, car locked safely away again, but will be out for the school run (my daughter's a teacher) shortly... wondering what magical incantation/voodoo is necessary to ensure no further panic. .

How old is the battery?

You did have your foot on the brake pedal when moving the gear lever about didn't you?
    fq101.co.uk

...Well it wasn't the indicators themselves that came on; just the turn-signal light on the dash, the indicators were working normally. My thoughts at the moment are gravitating along the notion that there was some random condensation issue perhaps providing a tracking path somewhere - the fault 'cleared' when I opened the passenger door and lifted the carpet to get at the battery; which I'd thought about changing (I keep a spare on charge just in case)

No Gus... there's no power/heat in this garage. And just at the moment the car is being driven circa 70 miles/day! - It has a good alternator too!

And yes... Foot on the pedal etc. I've had the car a few years now so am pretty used to its starting processes etc.

if its in safe area & owned rather than rented, you "might wish to buy a decent (55w+) monocrystalline solar panel, from the likes of secondsolar. a 20 quid on a half decent charge controller & some appropriate cabling & plugs & hook it into the spare battery & the other unit via that ctek once a week (it will maintain a float charge nicely rather than hauling batteries about.

scan the sun app (android & iphone as I recall) use, that to scan the environ on the site for best orientation & evaluation of potential solar gain & useful conversion to electrons.

If its an unsafe location forget it.

I'm 5 degrees off due south so solar is lovely for me.
    If deemed appropriate the good folk on navitron renewables will do any math you require & advise accordingly. ..likely there is a crack in a corner you "could" utilise for cableing & simply make space for clip & connectthat feeds under the door safely (my big concern) & into the locked up smart vehicle, ..tyhe premise being that if that's enough for a farmer & his electric fence to keep it topped up then its certainly enough to juice up a smart which is used daily.

Might be overkill, might be viable / not, lots of potential to massively extend your battery lifespan & hefting it in & out of place.
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    17 snowboards (ish)

Solar power to the lockup isn't an option for various reasons. Batteries are the only option for things like lights etc. - Electronic engineering is part of my professional skillset, so electrics aren't a source of fear for me.

And TBH with the car in frequent use, and a reasonable battery in it, I don't really see an issue there. - I know even apparently-good batteries on 'electronic' cars can throw up some odd issues; I used to have an S-Type Jag that drove me mad with ABS issues once the battery was a year or so old! But a condensation issue seems more likely at the moment... In the absence of this being any kind of 'stock fault'.

It's not even as if it was all that cold... Maybe -1.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Quinn View Post
    It's not even as if it was all that cold... Maybe -1.
    The thing is that it has been relatively mild and damp until the last couple of days, so the absolute humidity is fairly high. With the drop in temperature the relative humidity has gone way up and hence condensation.
    If we get into a proper winter with sub-zero temps then the moisture will largely drop out and condensation can be less of a problem. In some respects our freeze-melt winter climate is more problematic than the hard freeze in, say, Scandinavia.
    2016, ForTwo cabriolet, 900 turbo, DCT, Prime Premium, unmodified.

TBH I thought it would be.

Temp (internal) of a lock up is likely colder than the outside think "coldstore" in winter & likely too blinking hot from roof being too thin? (roofing of some that i've seen certainly was the case) compared to concrete roof, ..however worth a mention, I hate but understand the need for batteries where they are.
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    17 snowboards (ish)

Quote Originally Posted by dpmike View Post
    The thing is that it has been relatively mild and damp until the last couple of days, so the absolute humidity is fairly high. With the drop in temperature the relative humidity has gone way up and hence condensation.

Indeed so... right now just as darkness is beginning to fall it's 0.5 above... Cold but not cold enough! And aye, that garage with it's tin roof is dripping in condensation. Let's hope this was a freak occurrence!

Thread Information