+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Traction control light comes on and stays on until restart during motorway driving

Seeing a strange problem with my (aged) 451 lately that I've not seen before during her 126,000 miles done so far.

While driving from Manchester to London last month during driving rain on the motorway the traction control light comes on and remains lit some 100 miles or so into the journey, I pull over at services and restart, light goes off. Assume it was just a glitch maybe caused by the heavy rain, dirt/grit or something.

Back home since and on 3 separate occasions the light has come on and stayed on again when on relatively short motorway runs. Clearly something speed related is causing this problem to show up but what could it be? Advice/suggestions please!
    Andrew Holland/

Default Re: Traction control light comes on and stays on until restart during motorway drivin

brake light switch?
    ABS sensor?
    Reluctor ring?
    These would be my best guess

Default Re: Traction control light comes on and stays on until restart during motorway drivin

Not saying it's the problem but my 450 did this when the steering angle sensor was out of calibration. It would never cause a problem on short journeys, only ever on sustained higher speed straight roads like motorways.

Quote Originally Posted by mikerj View Post
    Not saying it's the problem but my 450 did this when the steering angle sensor was out of calibration. It would never cause a problem on short journeys, only ever on sustained higher speed straight roads like motorways.
    Hmm so it could be for me as each time it's happened it's been on straight or relatively straight motorway runs, so how was that diagnosed?
    Andrew Holland/

Quote Originally Posted by andrewh1973 View Post
    Hmm so it could be for me as each time it's happened it's been on straight or relatively straight motorway runs, so how was that diagnosed?

I read the fault codes and recalibrated the sensor via Star.

Quote Originally Posted by mikerj View Post
    I read the fault codes and recalibrated the sensor via Star.
    Wish I had a star machine myself! Thanks, will get the mechanics to check that on next service (due soon anyway).
    Andrew Holland/

Centrifugal force acting on the reluctor rings? This caused similar symptoms on my last 450 - normal A and B roads were ok but dual cabbageways and motorways caused this
    2009 Passion Coupe Cdi - RHD
    Previously;
    2007 Passion Coupe - RHD
    2000 Pure City Coupe - LHD
    2001 Pulse City Coupe - LHD
    2003 Passion City Coupe - RHD
    2000 Passion City Coupe Cdi - LHD

On Saturday she broke with the pattern thus far, driving along - again on a straight road - at 30mph and the light came on then. It was wet at the time though, the only common factors seem to be wet conditions and straight roads...
    Andrew Holland/

Have you looked at your rings yet? They are horrible on my 2009 451, I resurrected then with a wire brush, but they will need changing this year.
    2009 Passion Coupe Cdi - RHD
    Previously;
    2007 Passion Coupe - RHD
    2000 Pure City Coupe - LHD
    2001 Pulse City Coupe - LHD
    2003 Passion City Coupe - RHD
    2000 Passion City Coupe Cdi - LHD

Quote Originally Posted by b1ackb1rd View Post
    Centrifugal force acting on the reluctor rings?

This isn't gonna happen, due to the lowish mass of said rings, their distance from the shaft centre and the material they're made of...

If the forces due to centrifugal force were strong enough to do anything at all it would be to cause them to permanently depart from the shaft (i.e. break up and fall off)

What's way more likely in your case was: as the shaft went faster the signal received by the ABS sensor became so weak/unreliably constant due to decay of the castellations that the system misdiagnosed this as rpm variance (when compared to the other wheels)

P.S: I'm not saying ring corrosion wouldn't cause this

dual cabbageways
    Loving this

brake light switch?
    ABS sensor?
    Reluctor ring?
    steering angle adjustment (or just faulty in this area)

These must all be ruled out
    Last edited by TheAlmostInvisibleMan; 29th January 2019 at 20:21.
    fq101.co.uk

Thread Information