+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Please explain, is MHD stop start system still used in later models?

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen123 View Post
    Electric oil pump and oil heater are the answers to reducing engine wear at start up.
    An electric oil pump is also the answer to the increased wear caused by stop start functions but they are expensive.

Default Re: Please explain, is MHD stop start system still used in later models?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Gus View Post
    Oh this news (thanks) is so damning, stop start is such a false economy (if & when it works)

I had hoped that after the mhd belt snap debacle of earlier models that had been dropped, so do later models suffer or is that "all clear" & ultra refined nowadays?
    If the concern you have is over the poorly engineered stop/start on the 451, the question you should be asking is do the later cars still use the same belt driven starter/alternator system? (I don't know the answer, hopefully a knowledgeable owner will chime in).

Many stop/start systems use a conventional (but heavy duty) starter motor.

I thought I had that covered, bearing in mind the thread title "Please explain, is MHD stop start system still used in later models"? ..as a cover all, ...but hey.

As i've likely put elsewhere, our mini cooper has it, & it's an oddity, our B-class Merc has it, & it never seem to apply itself despite being set up in "eco" mode (& driven considerately) ..we kind of pray for the day it kicks in, as the uncertainty of its infrequent appearance on 2 otherwise sound cars does make us wonder.

The Merc B class has a secondary battery in the rear (over the R/H/S rear wheel in a cubby pocket & i'd like to think it works, especially when it comes to replacing "another" potentially expensive battery, or getting rid of the car before then.

The engine set up (space) for more recent Smart models is a concern to me, based on problems with it at anytime, beyond that of the accepted to be flawed & "cards marked" MHD badged smarts as to whether I go forward with a purchase of a more modern smart.
    New to Smart (450 city coupe 0.7 pulse)
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    E-Bike rider (lots of fun with knackered knees)
    17 snowboards (ish)
    Bitter drinker (not bitter)
    Cheapskate, Skateboarder,
    Old enough to know better.

I thought I had that covered, bearing in mind the thread title "Please explain, is MHD stop start system still used in later models"? ..as a cover all, ...but hey.
    The MHD system is/was unique to the older cars. On the 453 cars the engine, gearbox and starter systems are 'conventional', with start/stop operating much the same as any other modern car.

If you mean later versions of the 451 model you need to be explicit as that is a question for someone who understands the differences, or not, within that production model.
    2016, ForTwo cabriolet, 900 turbo, DCT, Prime Premium, unmodified.

Therein lies the context I can understand, (whilst I can remember) brain injuries.
    cheers

To confuse things the "stay away from mhd" on evilution site doesn't really go into it deeply, other than to hold a crucifix at the things, "uniquely designed variant of stop start" bad, conventional modern type in regular engines & later non mhd era smarts, "ok".
    Last edited by Mr Gus; 11th January 2019 at 18:40.
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    17 snowboards (ish)

... to hold a crucifix at the things, ...
    Do I need to fetch Buffy back again?
    2016, ForTwo cabriolet, 900 turbo, DCT, Prime Premium, unmodified.

If the "buffy" includes flakey pastry cheese straws & high quality sausage rolls then..yes please!

(pork pie optional as long as the gelatine is a light one I can pick out with my fingers & hide in a nearby ficus plant).

But to bounce my "confusion" along the ground it was because of this from evilution site (perhaps the MHD morphing to a less crap variant needs updating along all included pages relating to stop start to aid further understanding, if evilution still appears here to read this).

"It was an option (that no one specced) from October 2007.
    It was standard fitment from October 2008."

But as the mhd badge seemed to disappear, the uninitiated would still be puzzled (like I was).
    See worr-ai mean!?
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    17 snowboards (ish)

Quote Originally Posted by 137699 View Post
    ...starter motor will wear out in double-quick time (my O/H's step dad is a mechanic and replaces so many starter motors on S/S cars that it practically keeps him in business)
    Your step dad must move making a fortune charging people for new starter motors seeing as virtually no stop-start system on any brand of car uses the actual starter motor for SS purposes.
    2004 Smart Fortwo Passion Cabro, low miles, commuting scoot.
    2019 Volvo XC90 T8, 400bhp hybrid insanity family wagon.
    1991 Yamaha FZR600 3HE7 Kocinski edition, owned since new.
    8 x bicycles. What can I say, I like bikes!

Yeah, the starters and alternators and Valeo’s dual purpose starter/alternator are all beefed up for start/stop.

The component that takes the biggest hit in these start stop systems is the battery, this is why they use EFB and the dearer AGM in some cars...
    fq101.co.uk

Thread Information