+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Hello, new (old) 450 model owner

Thanks, I shall ask, however it's likely I'll monitor the oil & get it booked in for april, they are always super busy & we have stuff going on, builder, & the like.
    Otherwise, Newmarket bound, ..but that said if I get to Bedford there are a couple of 2-3 yr old low mileage smart fortwo's I like the look of (no I'm not a car dealer) ..they are incidental to the main, looking for another e.v. & so far garages haven t tried hard enough for our buisness, so cut out the middle man.
    Last edited by Mr Gus; 5th January 2019 at 19:22.
    New to Smart (450 city coupe 0.7 pulse)
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    E-Bike rider (lots of fun with knackered knees)
    17 snowboards (ish)
    Bitter drinker (not bitter)
    Cheapskate, Skateboarder,
    Old enough to know better.

Hi, and I hope you enjoy your 450. Ours is 2001 and with us since 2004. The oil / burnt valve problem first appeared with a need for more frequent oil top ups from about 50k miles, and at 60k miles the engine lost all compression on one cylinder, which is apparently typical. The lowest set of piston rings are designed to control the amount of oil on the cylinder walls but they stick in their grooves on the piston resulting in too much oil in the combustion chamber. Oil burns hotter than petrol, and the hot exhaust gas burns the exhaust valve, so it doesn't seal properly. Combustion pressure then leaks through the valve, making the damage worse, and quickly resulting in the valve not holding pressure at all. The only way to fix it is to take off the head to regrind the valve seats and take off the sump to remove the pistons and replace the rings - effectively a full rebuild. What I don't know (hopefully somebody else will explain) is what you can do about it if you notice the first symptoms of excess oil use. Maybe a petrol additive cleaner will unstick the rings, maybe better oil will help. (I used the recommended Mobil 1 but it still happened).

Beware that oil level with the engine hot is higher (up to half the dipstick?) than with it cold. It's rate of drop that matters more then actual level (so long as it's between max & min), so measure cold for consistency.

Other things to be aware of in older 450s are; the rear quarter lights can leak, but are easy to remove and reseal; the rear ABS rings can spilt, resulting in 'growling' when braking at low speed or on loose surfaces; and the turbo manifold can crack (I bought a perfectly good new turbo from Latvia for 1/3 the price of a Smart one).

I have just carried out an oil and filter change on my 450. Got the oil for free from the local rubbish recycling centre when nobody were watching.

Ha-ha, nothing wrong with being a tip-rat recycler!

Today my Aliexpress "expensive" led's turned up (4.26 for two *fortwo* )
    Although I wanted to compare the difference between the "allegedly" cree unit the others at (0.36p) have yet to turn up, however with our Smart being black on black, I wanted something bright to highlight beyond the rear lights if broken down with electrics still working.

Very pleased with the cold white LED for the rear light (39mm Festoon C5W Cree Chip Bulb) you can't lose anything in the boot now! & with the added bonus of being able to read smallish print on the floor of the footwell.

Whilst not a mod (i'm unlikely to) it seems mad not to switch to (legal) led's these days, also got a dash led T10 coming, any downside to these, I read on evilution that when off this fitting with led inserted gives off a small glow / draw regardless, however no measurement was given, guess it must be very minimal though.
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    17 snowboards (ish)

Most of the lamp driving in modern cars is solid state which is of course optimised for the OEM bulb type in each location. Swapping out incandescent bulbs for LED often results in problems of which a continuous slight glow when 'off' seems not uncommon. Changing indicator (especially), brake, DRL or marker bulbs to LED can also upset some bulb failure detection systems.

These problems can be overcome but it can become a real hassle with some risks.
    2016, ForTwo cabriolet, 900 turbo, DCT, Prime Premium, unmodified.

Correct me if I've misinterpreted please, but basically if I leave it at those 2x interior lights i'm pretty much going to get away with no faults read because it is secondary system not auxiliary, so less diagnostics & error readings!?
    I'm happy with the Speedo lighting etc as is, just don't want to lose shopping in the dark, & be able to simply have a useful quantity of light with less shadow as needed.
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    17 snowboards (ish)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Gus View Post
    Correct me if I've misinterpreted please, but basically if I leave it at those 2x interior lights i'm pretty much going to get away with no faults read because it is secondary system not auxiliary, so less diagnostics & error readings!?
    I'm happy with the Speedo lighting etc as is, just don't want to lose shopping in the dark, & be able to simply have a useful quantity of light with less shadow as needed.
    Yes, interior/instrument lamps are unlikely to cause error indications. Whether the 'glow' is a problem I don't know - the current to make an LED glow is probably only a mA or two, but may still be more than with a filament lamp (because perhaps it interferes with the switching circuit). Resistors are sometimes used to overcome this but you can then end up with heat being generated in places that weren't designed for it, so ...
    2016, ForTwo cabriolet, 900 turbo, DCT, Prime Premium, unmodified.

It is just a shame that evilution site who stated that also didn't measure the vampirical load for better context, it would worry the heck out of your average user.
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    17 snowboards (ish)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris3005 View Post
    What I don't know (hopefully somebody else will explain) is what you can do about it if you notice the first symptoms of excess oil use. Maybe a petrol additive cleaner will unstick the rings, maybe better oil will help. (I used the recommended Mobil 1 but it still happened).

Prevention is always better than cure. Regular oil & filter changes with quality oil and ensuring the PCV valve is checked each time and replaced as necessary will go a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGus
    the vampirical load

fq101.co.uk

Thread Information