thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub shop - the world's largest independent club for all things smart
+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24

Default Re: New c453 budget of £16,000

Iíve been trying to get Android Auto and google maps working as it was just showing a blank map.

So Iíve started the engine a number of times and just plugged my Samsung Galaxy S5 mini into the cars USB socket without loading anything on the phone and in fact booted the phone from a powered off state.

When switched on and plugged into the head unit it asked if I wanted to run screen mirroring after saying yes about 10 seconds or so later it displayed the map data from the phone.

I checked the phone and nothing was showing in the recently used apps list like it would if I had loaded android auto and google maps on the phone itself prior to connecting to the car.

Iíve switched the engine on twice and connected the phone without starting android auto or the maps and both times it loaded the map data several seconds after agreeing to go into screen mirroring mode.

Whilst in the car with the engine started I powered the phone off and on a number of times and every time it loaded the map data several seconds after agreeing to go into screen mirroring mode without loading any apps prior to this.

So the only thing I can think of is the latest google maps app Iíve installed has fixed the problem or I wasnít doing something right.
    Last edited by nlel; 22nd May 2020 at 16:48.
    2019 Smart Fortwo Prime Premium Cabrio A453 Turbo 900cc 90hp
    R-Link Evolution Sat Nav/DAB with Android Auto, Bluetooth, USB, SD, AUX
    Heated Seats, Electric Mirrors, Air Con
    6-Speed Dual Clutch Automatic
    Rear Parking Sensors
    White with 15Ē Alloys

Quote Originally Posted by nlel View Post
    Well I had a hunch that the reason why the Pulsar music app on Android Auto kept pausing was because my car is parked in an underground car park and once I'm outside it plays back properly.

To test this, today I stopped just outside the car park entrance as I was leaving and started the Pulsar app, it played back fine also google maps got a GPS fix when normally in the car park it can't.

So hopefully that's it touchwood.
    Well it turns out the above wasnít the fix, I find that the Pulsar music app pauses twice before it plays non stop. Iíd love a fix but touching the play button twice shortly after each other on the cars screen gets it going again.
    Rear Parking Sensors
    White with 15Ē Alloys

Well it turns out the above wasnít the fix, I find that the Pulsar music app pauses twice before it plays non stop. Iíd love a fix but touching the play button twice shortly after each other on the cars screen gets it going again.
    Went for a drive this morning and tested Android Auto. Once again Google Maps displayed fine and I could see my GPS position and the direction I was going in on the map.

I didn't test the voice control functions as I don't really know much about how to use it. Once again the Pulsar music app paused twice in quick succession and I was able to press play both times after which it played the music non stop for the rest of my journey.

So all in all pretty cool, I'll have to learn more about the voice control functions but pretty pleased with it so far.
    Rear Parking Sensors
    White with 15Ē Alloys

So all in all pretty cool, I'll have to learn more about the voice control functions but pretty pleased with it so far.
    Iíve today had a play with the google assistant voice control on my Android phone and itís pretty cool, especially for asking for directions. You can say ďok google navigate me to the nearest pub/toilets/petrol station/McDonaldís/KFC/Chinese/Pizza etc and it will give you directions.

Iíve had SIRI on my iPhone for years but never used it. Handy for navigation as it will know which is the closest in seconds instead of trying to figure it out yourself.
    Rear Parking Sensors
    White with 15Ē Alloys

You can say ďok google navigate me to the nearest pub/toilets/petrol station/McDonaldís/KFC/Chinese/Pizza etc and it will give you directions.
    Just bear in mind that 'nearest' probably means 'nearest that has paid us to promote them'.
    2016, ForTwo cabriolet, 900 turbo, DCT, Prime Premium, unmodified.

Yup.
    Duckduckgo for me every time as the easiest form of internet awareness, a simple half way house solution to a society problem in an age of stupid.

I prefer to download an offline map, ..& prefer to use an old fashioned offline sat nav in general, ..I wonder how long it is till we have to install tracker software on your regular mobile phone* to get the best *cough* price, & for them to validate a claim by means of movement data.

Give it a couple of years,

A potential licensing / exploit opportunity for car manufacturers of backdoor access in the name of "safety" for a nominal fee. ..more money if the manufacturer allows your current insurer to Have a boot up logo reminder whenever you start up 😂 ..e.g. the direct line logo & sound & a warning to drive carefully lest you jeopardise a subsequent claim that is subsequently data checked.

Have only tried using phone sat nav data 3 times since 2004, the signal was lacking too much for it to be any use, I resorted to a paper map to get back on track..each time.

Beware the term "free updates for life"
    Last edited by Mr Gus; 3rd June 2020 at 10:25.
    Smart (450 city coupe 0.7 pulse) 2003 "vintage" 45KW / 61 HP (M160/1)
    450 0.7 Brabus "Red A" 55.2KW / 74 HP
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    E-Biker
    17 snowboards (ish)
    Bitter drinker (not bitter)
    Cheapskate, Skateboarder,
    Old enough to know better.

Once again the Pulsar music app paused twice in quick succession and I was able to press play both times after which it played the music non stop for the rest of my journey.
    The GPS function on google maps has been working fine however last week the Pulsar music app kept skipping tracks on an album full of mp3.

Today it worked fine playing back the same album after pausing twice in quick succession near the start of playback and after pressing play both times it continued non stop.

So thereís no guarantee that next time I wonít have similar problems.
    Rear Parking Sensors
    White with 15Ē Alloys

Bought a new phone and sold my old one, Iíve bought a Motorola Moto G8 Power.

Went for a drive this morning and it immediately resumed playback of the last album I had played without pausing.

Twenty minutes in and I started a different album again without any pausing.

I donít want to tempt fate but itís looking like changing phones has solved the annoying playback pause issue.
    Rear Parking Sensors
    White with 15Ē Alloys

Went out in the car this morning and it played back music without pausing and google maps worked as well.

So it seems all my problems were due to the phone and not just the software. My old phone was running Android 6.0 and my new one Android 10.

New phone is more powerful CPU wise too and I can see this when opening or updating apps.
    Last edited by nlel; 2nd August 2020 at 12:31.
    Rear Parking Sensors
    White with 15Ē Alloys

Got caught out by being unable to remove the key from the ignition before I realized I hadnít put it into park earlier on.

New phone seems to be working well, no more pauses during playback and google maps working good.
    Rear Parking Sensors
    White with 15Ē Alloys

Thread Information