+ Reply to Thread

Default Smart 453 for two tpm

Hi has anyone had a warning on the sat nav screen on tyre warning as i have not had my smart many weeks i noticed it one morning and called out brake down service who put some air in one tyre and checked for nails he did say these monitors are a pain in many car models and if you have any problems you can get a smart dealer to get rid of the tpm.
    I do know that we never used to have all these electrical things fitted to cars and they seem to be just another pain in the butt.

Default Re: Smart 453 for two tpm

You just reset it and away you go. (Itís something the driver can do with ease)

Not sure why you called break down service?? as you have a compressor on board in your supplied tools (under the carpet at the front )
    Iím more surprised they actually turned up for such a problem.

The smart 453 seems to trigger this TPS warning incorrectly from time to time when itís cold weather here
    fq101.co.uk

Yes, tyre pressure falls as the air temperature falls, so this fairly sudden change to 'winter' will likely have caused a lot of people with marginal tyre pressures to get a warning first thing in the morning.
    You just need to check/fill them regularly, especially during autumn and early winter.

Since 2014 TPMS has been mandatory equipment on new cars, and if factory fitted from 2012 on it must also remain functional. So for recent cars legally you can't disable it (and no dealer will do so for you) and it will be an MoT fail if it's not working or is showing a fault.
    2016, ForTwo cabriolet, 900 turbo, DCT, Prime Premium, unmodified.

marginal tyre pressures
    Not sure what youíre trying to say here, It has nothing to do with whether the tyre pressures are marginal.

I think itís more to do with a single tyre that perhaps has a very slow air loss since it was last registered with the carís TPMS system.(and the colder evening has snapped that sensor over a cliff edge Ďsuddenlyí)

But on the other hand Iíve never had it trigger in the non-winter months..

They must have programmed out pressure increases , because Iíve never seen it trigger after a long drive either, when the tyre pressures must be elevated from the registered pressure.

Marginal maybe as in one tyre approaching that particular value (away from the original set pressure logged last time it was reset)
    fq101.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post
    Not sure what youíre trying to say here, It has nothing to do with whether the tyre pressures are marginal.
    ----
    Marginal maybe as in one tyre approaching that particular value (away from the original set pressure logged last time it was reset)
    Well, yes. That seemed so obvious I didn't explain further. If all four tyres are well above the 'alert' value, whatever that may be, then you won't get an alert.

All tyres lose air slowly over time, so if not checked and corrected they will eventually drop to a pressure that is close to the alert value - ie, marginal. Nothing is perfect, so of course not all the tyres will be at the same pressure (+/- front/rear difference of course) and at some point one tyre's pressure will drop a little more and 'bong', it's reported as a problem.

This is also a very generic description and I'm not attempting to cover the different ways that systems function.

In other words another pain in the arse to go wrong which came from the stupid eu health and safety gone mad.

I'm not sure it's an EU h&s thing especially; TPMS are fitted all round the world, even the USA, though they make very little stuff compulsory.
    It's more of a backup because people have, by and large, given up checking anything on their cars between services, so soft tyres are a real danger especially on motorways.
    You can make the same 'added complexity' argument against air bags, seat belts or electric windscreen wipers, but I think most people would rather have them than not (I'm only sure about the last one. ).

I do think that even the brakedown guy said that there is too much on cars now to go wrong and he sees it first hand i have heard many moans on other forums on tyre monitors playing up but as long as my smart starts and most things work im happy.

Thread Information