+ Reply to Thread

Default Child Seat for Smart Fortwo 450

I've got an old 2005 fortwo cab......and a five year old boy now. I've read about car seat fixings/frame for the 450 that let you install a boost seat on the passenger side and have even read about a child seat that Mercedes made. Anyone have any idea where I can source the fixing/frame or seat?

Default Re: Child Seat for Smart Fortwo 450

You should be able to use almost any booster seat that is retained by the safety belt.

As above, any child seat that is held via the seat belt will fit. I'd doubt that a 450 would have isofix fixings in the seat anyway. The Mercedes seat will be a rear facing type complete with transponder to turn the passenger seat air bag off at a considerable price.
    I've recently bought one of these https://www.demon-tweeks.com/recaro-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds for my grand daughter. You cn pay less & way way more for child seats.

I don't think the Smart has the Mercedes seat sensor fitted so the bag won't switch off automatically.

One could be grateful for it, I have seen so many airbag light problems from those seat sensors.

My 451 Fortwo doesn't have the option for the transponder though there is a blank in the roof panel where the 'airbag off' light would be

Thanks for the advice regarding using just any general booster seat. That's really helpful. Although, I thought the general consensus was that the airbag must be disabled so as not cause injury or is that mainly advice for when a baby seat is rear facing and so much more far forward?

FYI This is a link to a Canadian site that discusses it.

http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?/t...-booster-seat/

Air is only to be disabled when carrying a rear facing seat in the front. Forward facing kids seats are legally OK in the front with the airbag 'armed' ..... obviously the best option is for kids to sit in the back .... not an option in a Smart Fortwo

That's grand. Puts me in the right direction. I'l let you know how I go. Cheers!

Get in touch with Kate Wooley from smart-stuff.co.uk. She knows alot about child seats and the company sells and refitt airbag on/off switch for the 450

I've just noticed where 7hil lives .....

Thread Information