+ Reply to Thread

Default HV Battery replacement

Took my 451 ED in for routine annual service and battery check. Also reported a phantom drain (measuring several amps) on the 12v battery which runs it right down over two or three days of not being used. A week and a bit later I've just heard back that both HV and 12v batteries need replacing as both have failed diagnostics. HV pack now on back order from the factory, delivery date as yet uncertain. Cost of replacement covered by battery assurance (lease?) program. Sigh of relief...

The car was registered November 2014 and has covered only 14,000 miles. And I'm missing it like crazy. A recent several week hospitalisation of my wife meant I was doing a twice-a-day in/out commute into the centre of a big, busy town to visit. As far as I'm aware there is nothing to equal the ED's away fom the lights agility, its ability to dodge and dive through heavy traffic or its sheer ease of parking upon arrival.

Default Re: HV Battery replacement

Nearly three months on and we're still in the same boat. Car with dealer and no sign of a replacement HV battery anywhere and now on special vehicle-off-road back order from Germany. Which seems slightly implausible for a mainstream manufacturer and a car built until 2014.

I know this model was never a big seller in the UK (about 180 total sold I believe) but did sell more into mainland Europe and the US, probably around 7,000 total. Aren't manufacturers obliged to keep spares holdings - especially major make-or-break parts like a traction battery (or an engine) - for at least 10 years?

I have owned and kept a niche Audi model (~6,000 made and sold 1999-2001) for nine years and spares have never been an issue, even a crate engine. How come Mercedes has all this bother finding a single battery?

Should I be escalating beyond the dealer and his parts department? They've been very understanding, loaning me various Smart and Mercedes models in the meantime, but this cannot go on forever surely? Where does the enough's enough point kick-in. Should I be demanding a permanent replacement vehicle? A cash settlement? Just don't know...

Have they provided you with a courtesy car, are they willing to provide a like for like replacement car?
    Steve

Courtesy car? Yes, gracefully and without being asked. A-Class diesel at the moment. A replacement? Nothing mentioned so far. You'd be thinking 453ED I guess?

Supplying a courtesy car will be costing them something, so I'd think they will be pushing for the part to arrive.
    As batteries have a shelf life I expect it will have to be made to order.

The problem with a replacement car is that you'll probably only get the market value for yours against it, so it would be like trading it in. Is that a cost you want?
    Although if they offer you a very good 'trade-in' it might be worth biting their hand off.
    2016, ForTwo cabriolet, 900 turbo, DCT, Prime Premium, unmodified.

I'm interested in this, the variant you have is Li-ion right (i'm aware that there will still be a dumb ass lead acid in there due to regs).

It is very rare for a li-in pack to fail, maybe a few small cells but not to typically necessitate a full battery swap over.

Under what conditions has the pack failed (ie pertinent detail) ..this is of interest to anyone who has gone the EV route & presumably as part of the normal warranty condition for e.v. you have had annual battery diagnostics (which take from 30 mins upward) ..so was it sudden or have they been watching a curve that has shown (to them at least) over time?

you really need more information from them in order to pull this the way it needs to go (ie customer service) & info in relation to an expensive product.

Get Smart UK hq to talk you through this as to why it has happened & why a standard replacement has not simply been put in, ...ie is it a problem with the small run of batteries they used & as such they do not wish to put the same ones back?

Since 2014 battery density has obviously changed so bearing in mind the time passed thus far, "what can you do for me" (a question to put the ball in their court) & also obtain everything in writing from this point in case they start to bluster, ...battery is as new to them as you, yet they have plenty of battery info from all the units they placed in Canada a handful of years back (the public car scheme to gather data).
    New to Smart (450 city coupe 0.7 pulse)
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    E-Bike rider (lots of fun with knackered knees)
    17 snowboards (ish)
    Bitter drinker (not bitter)
    Cheapskate, Skateboarder,
    Old enough to know better.

I'm interested in this, the variant you have is Li-ion right...?

Standard retail 451ED with Li-ion battery pack.
    It is very rare for a li-in pack to fail, maybe a few small cells but not to typically necessitate a full battery swap over.

Degrade slowly over time, yes. But fail completely? Agreed. Rare.
    Under what conditions has the pack failed...?

Perfectly normal operation on public roads. Only ever allowed to drop to 2% charge once - unavoidable. Always plugged in to charger with overnight charging at cheap rate. Although how it was treated by the previous owner and indeed the manufacturer-approved selling dealer I have no idea. Has had main dealer service/warranty check every year, including dessicant changes.
    Get Smart UK hq to talk you through this...?

When I can find the time, I will. Many personal and professional distractions at the moment...
    Since 2014 battery density has obviously changed so bearing in mind the time passed thus far, "what can you do for me"...?

Not got to that point yet.

As part of the ongoing battery stats they will have a lot of data on the yearly "servicing battery hook up" ..they have all they need, unless anything was stated & signed for in the meantime then it appears they ok'ed the pack when selling it on to you (with the car) under warranty.

That's the reason to follow up on the data.

As far as the 2% is concerned this battery pack has a reserve (unavailable to use) to prevent complete depletion which could otherwise banjax the batteries the common term for this is "protected" / "unprotected" when buying small li-ion based batteries from elsewhere.
    We had to cruise the Leaf back a few nights ago on zero charge (technically) but it hadn't got to emergency "turtle" yet either (protected cells).
    New to Smart (450 city coupe 0.7 pulse)
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    E-Bike rider (lots of fun with knackered knees)
    17 snowboards (ish)
    Bitter drinker (not bitter)
    Cheapskate, Skateboarder,
    Old enough to know better.

Thread Information