+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Re: Electric Smart Test Drive

Hi TheAlmostInvisibleMan,

I never feel like ANY dealer seems to make me feel wanted or required. I've gone into our local dealership and stood for a good three minutes at the counter before anyone says hello. Maybe a trip to Manchester might be worth something. Is there only one Manchester dealer?

I get the range issue, I know it's not a Tesla.

Thank you

Hi Whittaker52,

Can you define bigger dealerships? Our local - Cheshire Oaks has a big spinning Mercedes sign! They seriously said no chance.

Thank you

Hi EmilysDad,

My partner is OBSESSED with the phrase ' when you land, plug in' to the kids so I highly doubt it will be forgotten, plus I won't have to get smelly hands at the petrol station AND I can make it warm, safely before I get in on cold mornings.

Thank you

Hi mccsmart2002,

Yes, my partner says the faster charger option would give flexibility.

We've looked at the Leaf, the Zoe and the BMW...

The leaf seems to be getting on for 29k with the nicer options
    The Zoe is STILL trying to lease you batteries... and seems about 25k
    The BMW seems around 35k...

I do forty miles to work so the Smart seems fine. Maybe work will install chargers at some point?

My partner thinks different battery sizes option allows the manufacturers to delay electrics even more and causes more confusion. My mother was amazed when I said we could plug it in at her house when we came for Sunday lunch - 'What a normal socket?' She thought you HAD to go to one of these charger things - like you currently do with petrol cars. I told her every house we visit can potentially charge the car.

Our friend has a Tesla and it's just not a fair contest, although THAT was 60K!!

Thank you

Hi dpmike,

Maybe when we all have electric vehicles there will be battery shops that will change and upgrade battery packs while you wait... flying cars too

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by GillBrennan View Post
    Hi dpmike,

Maybe when we all have electric vehicles there will be battery shops that will change and upgrade battery packs while you wait... flying cars too

Thank you
    LOL - I seriously doubt there will be significant numbers of flying cars until everything is fully autonomous. Can you imagine current volumes and standards of driving moved up 500 feet. Every minor bump would be fatal, and to people on the ground as well.

Most electric cars have sufficient range for most people's day to day needs. It's only longer journeys such as holidays that present a 'problem' but it's used as an excuse for some pretty flaky arguments. I expect you know people who run a big car because "we need it to go on holiday once a year". The possibility that having a smaller car for 99% of their needs and renting a big one for a couple of weeks a year is never considered, despite the advantages. For more regular out-of-range journeys a short charge midway to get you there and charging at the destination will cover most needs. Less convenient than petrol? Maybe, but if it's saving you 1,000s a year .... ?

Car batteries is another area of muddled thinking. People are assuming that because there is lithium in the name these are like your phone battery and will need changing after a few years. This is just wrong. Leaving aside the Nissan Leaf, which uses a rather poor battery design (cheap) most car batteries can be expected to last the life of the vehicle. Many manufacturers are currently giving 8 years battery warranty and they wouldn't do that without a reasonable expectation it won't be needed often. Of course there will be failures and cars that are abused but that's no different to current ice cars. But the idea of shops that can swap out your car battery while you wait is, for a number of reasons, an extremely unlikely future.
    Incidentally, the 8 year warranties are that the battery will still have about 3/4 of its capacity left, so even in the 10 year old, second-hand market you should have a car with a quite useable range for daily use - though maybe not a Smart with only 90 miles to begin with
    2016, ForTwo cabriolet, 900 turbo, DCT, Prime Premium, unmodified.

Quote Originally Posted by GillBrennan View Post
    AND I can make it warm, safely before I get in on cold mornings.

You're probably aware , but just on the offchance that you're not... this will pull the range down before you've even set off.
    The advertised 100miles is much like the petrol/diesel consumption figures, i.e. not real life and absolute max.
    I want an advertised 250mile range, so I can get 150+ out of it easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Less convenient than petrol? Maybe, but if it's saving you 1,000s a year .... ?

Not sure how many miles you're doing to achieve 1000's a year ?

A rough calculation of today's prices gives: 1000 of fuel equating to 7500miles @ 45mpg , I'm sure the charge for the electric (plus the initial extra cost of the electric car compared to a combustion engine) will be commensurate....
    I can't supply the costs for a charge which would give say (I'll be kind) 90 miles running, cos I haven't got an electric car.
    fq101.co.uk

For me, the larger dealerships are the likes of Manchester, Birmingham, Milton Keynes, Brentford, Wolverhampton, Edinburgh, and Brooklands.

"elle est belle, votre petite auto Monsieur"

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post
    You're probably aware, but just on the offchance that you're not... this will pull the range down before you've even set off.
    Not if it's plugged into the charger/mains, which is the general idea.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post
    Not sure how many miles you're doing to achieve 1000's a year ?
    Yes, I was talking generically about average UK cars and mileages, not Smarts. But based on your numbers 10,000 miles in a Smart EV would probably save you 1,000 in petrol since charging is generally estimated to cost about 1/3 the cost of petrol per mile. Obviously that will vary on where and when you charge - eg. if you can charge on Economy 7 at home you will save more.
    2016, ForTwo cabriolet, 900 turbo, DCT, Prime Premium, unmodified.

Im unconvinced about the savings

This is an interesting page with suggested figures at the bottom, whilst it says some charging points are free, home (slow) charging is the cheapest, the fast chargers out in the field are the dearest with: a charging time charge, a consumption charge and a connection fee.

https://www.zap-map.com/charge-point...harging-guide/
    fq101.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information