+ Reply to Thread

Default Non adjusting headlights

With the nights drawing in, I need to drop the headlights to stop dazzling oncoming drivers. I've tried the adjusters, both, and on both sides and they seem to do absolutely nothing. Neither L-R or up/down. Is this normal?

If I take the light units apart am I going to find stripped seized workings? Any advice greatfully received.

Default Re: Non adjusting headlights

If the adjusters are faulty they will often tick when you try to adjust them. I wouldn't start there given that both are doing absolutely nothing, I would start with the fuses.

Why would you be dazzling on coming traffic if they're adjusted correctly in the first place? The adjuster inside the car is traditionally used for when there is additional weight in the back of a car ..... I'm not sure where or how you would be able to carry enough weight in a Fortwo to affect the beam level.
    Last edited by EmilysDad; 7th November 2018 at 22:47.

Aha, not the electrical adjusters, Iím having issues with the Allen key adjusters on the lights themselves. One points way too high, the other is slightly high. Thereís absolutely no joy from the electrical adjusters, but Iím not that surprised. But I would expect the manual ones to do something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does this car pass the mot ?
    fq101.co.uk

That was surprise to me too. Iíve not had the car long and it came without MOT. It passed itís MOT quite recently with a couple of advisories - emissions and a rusty spring. No mention of the lights!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ Smartysmartface ..Aha, not the electrical adjusters, I’m having issues with the Allen key adjusters on the lights themselves

Sorry ... mis-understood you

Useful links. I took both headlamp units apart. Un-seized one adjuster, two more had become detached and one of the electrical adjustment motors is knackered. It runs but sometimes wonít start again when it has reached one end. Cleaned the potentiometer and tried running the motor for a good stint in either direction but once it stops, only a turn of the pinion by hand gets it moving again. Seen some on eBay for around £20 so I guess thatís the way to go. The adjusters that weíre detached probably got that way due to ham fisted bulb replacement, previous owner presumably. Was nowhere near the place myself!) The lights are no longer dazzling low flying aircraft, and shortly should have working adjustment motors.
    Last edited by Smartysmartface; 8th November 2018 at 19:49.

Thread Information