+ Reply to Thread

Post Smart Forfour Brabus 2017 Start/Stop malfunction message

Hi all,

We've got a 2017 Brabus that displays a Start/Stop malfunction message in the small multifunction display in the speedo every time we stop the engine. My local Mercedes dealer are telling me this is normal behaviour - can anyone else confirm/deny this please?

Hopefully I've attached a picture of the error

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images

Default Re: Smart Forfour Brabus 2017 Start/Stop malfunction message

No, it certainly isnít normal behaviour (Iíve had my 453 for 3 years and 1 month now so you can take that as gospel)

The lack of intelligence of dealers never ceases to amaze me.

Take it back and insist they sort the problem out.

Out of interest what are you actually doing when you Ďstop the engineí ?
    (I.e. whatís the preamble to all of this?)

Do you mean when you actually turn the key off (with the engine still running) prior to getting out ?
    Last edited by TheAlmostInvisibleMan; 17th October 2018 at 19:05.
    fq101.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post
    Out of interest what are you actually doing when you Ďstop the engineí ?
    (I.e. whatís the preamble to all of this?)

Do you mean when you actually turn the key off (with the engine still running) prior to getting out ?
    Yes, this is happening when I come to take the key out and the central locking attempts to unlock the doors - you can hear the central locking 'firing' at exactly the same time this message appears.

I'm gobsmacked the dealer can think that any message that tells you to refer to the operators manual is 'normal' - I'm back in the dealers tomorrow, so I'll keep the thread updated.

Thanks for the reply!

I see that, or something similar, in our fortwo once in a while. The central locking doesn't try and 'do' anything on ours at turn off though, so it could be that the additional power drain is making yours worse.
    2016, ForTwo cabriolet, 900 turbo, DCT, Prime Premium, unmodified.

Quote Originally Posted by john2006 View Post
    Yes, this is happening when I come to take the key out and the central locking attempts to unlock the doors - you can hear the central locking 'firing' at exactly the same time this message appears.!

Quote Originally Posted by dpmike
    The central locking doesn't try and 'do' anything on ours at turn off though
    Yeah , not sure what you mean when you say the central locking attempts to unlock

When you take the key out it shouldn't do anything, the car will only auto-lock when you drive off for the first time, it won't auto-unlock ever.

You should be able to easily demonstrate with another 453 on the lot that yours is unusual , go and ask the sales guy for a demo
    fq101.co.uk

Isn't that sign on the message to do with Stop / Start?
    Steve

Mercedes are sticking to their guns on this one.

I suggested they dig out another Forfour so we could play spot the difference, but they say this issue would be relevant to the actual build date and spec. of the car, so wouldn't prove anything. They have said there definitely isn't an problem with the start/stop system and think that it might be fixable with a software update - IE, the system is fine, but the "error reporting" has a bug.

I've told them to have the message keep appearing isn't acceptable and I want this sorting out - even though I'm pretty sure there isn't an issue, I can see this causing me all kinds of grief when I come to sell the car.

Regarding the central locking system auto unlocking when the engine stops and key is removed - yes, my car definitely does this, and the start/stop message happens at _exactly_ the time the car is unlocking itself (I can hear the locking solenoids 'fire').

So, the ball's in their court - they've passed this back to Smart, so I'm expecting some kind of resolution/explanation in the coming weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by john2006 View Post
    Mercedes are sticking to their guns on this one.

I suggested they dig out another Forfour so we could play spot the difference, but they say this issue would be relevant to the actual build date and spec. of the car, so wouldn't prove anything. They have said there definitely isn't an problem with the start/stop system and think that it might be fixable with a software update - IE, the system is fine, but the "error reporting" has a bug.

I've told them to have the message keep appearing isn't acceptable and I want this sorting out - even though I'm pretty sure there isn't an issue, I can see this causing me all kinds of grief when I come to sell the car.

Regarding the central locking system auto unlocking when the engine stops and key is removed - yes, my car definitely does this, and the start/stop message happens at _exactly_ the time the car is unlocking itself (I can hear the locking solenoids 'fire').

So, the ball's in their court - they've passed this back to Smart, so I'm expecting some kind of resolution/explanation in the coming weeks.

They are being complete dicks regarding the build date rubbish , this stop start feature has been on the model since inception .......
    Itís on every single 453 out there - since day 1 !
    These garages are merely puppets for the warranty department.
    Surely someone with some common sense would just walk over to another car and try the same thing .... itís not rocket science.

Iím wondering if you have a door lock signalling problem ..... does the car auto lock when you drive off for the first time ? .... youíll obviously hear a click as the doors lock after it gets past ~10mph....

Have you applied the handbrake before the key removal ?

PS How long as has it been doing it ? .... and how long have you had the car ?

Go directly to a sales person and show him .... heíll have been in so many 453ís heíll be able to confirm itís not correct operation !
    You might then be able to get him/her to talk to service on your behalf - or at last back you up
    Last edited by TheAlmostInvisibleMan; 18th October 2018 at 18:24.
    fq101.co.uk

Post Re: Smart Forfour Brabus 2017 Start/Stop malfunction message

As promised, here's an update on where we are -

I took the car in yesterday for Mercedes to check it over and see if it was fixable. When I came to pick the car up today I was shown an internal document from Mercedes that perfectly describes the problem I have with the 'start/stop' error, but as the message does not stay on the screen, this is not regarded as being a fault. I was not allowed to take a copy of this document

Annoyingly, the last line of the advisory says there are no plans to suppress the message - so obviously others have raised this issue and been told to ignore it.

I could _just about_ live with that, but what really concerns me is the central locking unlocking the car when this message appears - which means you've got to be particularly careful if you pull up in a dodgy car-park at night.

The unlocking happens regardless of whether the car is set to automatically 'lock' when driving off, so in short, I'm still not satisfied with the response I've had, so I'm going to take it further with Mercedes/Smart

Please would others confirm that their central-locking doesn't unlock the car, just locks it?

Thread Information