+ Reply to Thread

Default Forward Collision Warning

Hi, I've got a 2016 Prime Premium Plus with the forward collision warning option. I am not sure if this feature is working properly. Does anyone know what conditions it operates under IE how close to the vehicle in front do you have to be and how fast do you have to be traveling? I have had the warning light illuminate a couple of times when I first had the car (2016) and I once had the audible signal but did not notice the warning light at that time. I do not make a habit of driving too close to the vehicle in front so do not expect to see the warning very often. Does anyone else with this option see the warning light and hear the audible warning very often? I did mention it to the MB dealer the last time my car went in and they updated the software but it seems to have made no difference.
    Thanks

Default Re: Forward Collision Warning

How it works and the relevant criteria are all in the book (Page 58 to 60)

http://moba.i.daimler.com/markets-sm...-01b_en_GB.pdf

Also:
    Stage 1: visual warning when a safety distance is not maintained but without an acute risk of collision
    Stage 2: visual and acoustic warning when the distance becomes critical with an acute risk of collision

You could always ask your dealer to check/confirm correct operation once you've read that up.
    They should be able to give you definitive answer as to its operation.
    fq101.co.uk

"No sir, your forward warning is not working. It will cost 10,000 to repair as we need to fit a new set of front wings and a radiator along with lots of other parts at the front".

"No sir, your forward warning is not working. It will cost 10,000 to repair as we need to fit a new set of front wings and a radiator along with lots of other parts at the front".

....... and the forward collision warning sensor will also need replacing, cos that got damaged in the smash
    fq101.co.uk

Our other car (non-Smart or M-B) has this type of system. It did kick in a couple of times when we first had it - both valid situations - but not since (over a year now I think). I wonder if it is still working ...
    (It was certainly trying to work last winter as when the front of the car got coated with ice while driving through falling snow it reported that it was unavailable. (Makes you wonder how self-driving cars will cope as they seem to be extensively tested in places like California and Arizona.))
    2016, ForTwo cabriolet, 900 turbo, DCT, Prime Premium, unmodified.

Mine still works but it isn't part of the car. It isn't as fast as it used to be but there is no fix for that.

What's wrong with the world when people's eyes, brains, and a moderate right foot aren't enough?
    2004 Smart Fortwo Passion Cabro, low miles, commuting scoot.
    2016 Kia Sportage 1.7 diseasel, family wagon.
    1991 Yamaha FZR600 3HE7 Kocinski edition, owned since new.
    8 x bicycles. What can I say, I like bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    What's wrong with the world when people's eyes, brains, and a moderate right foot aren't enough?
    Contrary to popular belief, people's eyes and brains have never, ever been anywhere near perfect. The overwhelming majority of accidents, probably 99%, are due to people.

Aids like this should reduce accidents - though not as much as might be expected until cars are fully autonomous, because people will increase their stupidity to compensate for increased vehicle intelligence.
    2016, ForTwo cabriolet, 900 turbo, DCT, Prime Premium, unmodified.

When you're all moving together at similar speeds your brain tends to switch off , you only spot the (more) sudden movements.
    This system alerts you to more subtle changes in tempo.

It's only an aid .... not a replacement, for your eyes.
    fq101.co.uk

Thread Information