+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UJ d'Or

Default UJ d'Or

Actually steering column and lower Universal Joint, the one that seizes up due to exposure to the elements.

Painted lower part of steering column in Lidl cold galvanizing paint followed by guilding to prevent future rust.

Default Re: UJ d'Or

Is so pwitty.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Is so pwitty.
    Did you see my clean finger nails? Wife has gone on holiday leaving me to do the dishes.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen123 View Post
    Did you see my clean finger nails? Wife has gone on holiday leaving me to do the dishes.
    I was heartily impressed.

Important to ensure steering is pointing dead straight when removing and fitting steering wheel. Screw that holds steering wheel to steering column will lock the squib provided it is screwed far enough out so no need to tape squib as usually is advised.

View of back side of my 450 Cabrio’s steering wheel. Torch points to the screw mentioned above.

Special UJ locking plates not available in shops. Made from 1.5 mm thick 316 stainless plate. Formed by hammers, files and elbow grease. UJs are normally held in the yoke by circlips. Not so on our steering column where the UJs are held by plastic deformation of outer part of yoke. This is done in a special press which locks the UJ caps in place whilst preloading them same time. This normally makes the UJ unserviceable hence reason for me making the special locking plates.

Above UJ is size 15x39. 15x40 will also fit.
    Price with delivery was £7.

Assembled joint.

Can now renew lower UJ in less than 10 minutes when steering column is out Takes a bit longer to remove steering column since a few parts must first come off.

Left hand drive Smart 450s have much better sound from speakers than the UK right hand drive models. Guess why?

I had renewed lower UJ about two years ago. I then used a cantilevered locking plate only held with a single screw. Experienced UJ rattle either due to the cantilevered locking plates being to thin or that I had not preloaded UJ bearing caps enough.
    The new locking plates seem to have cured the problem. Made from thicker material, wider and supported at each end, i. e. cantilevered at screw end and simply supported at other end.

I replaced the UJ on my 1999 City+Passion and still have a bit of UJ rattle, but there again, I used the same method to hold the bearing cups in place as was originally used, i.e. a hammer and punch and burr'ed in a bit of the surrounding steel. I obviously didn't hit it hard enough to take out all the play.

For the effort involved in taking the steering column out again, I can live with it. Hasn't put any more play into the steering system than it already has due to the rack and pinion, so not a problem.

John

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen123 View Post
    Left hand drive Smart 450s have much better sound from speakers than the UK right hand drive models. Guess why?
    Their owners are not as discerning?

And in case anyone wonders:

1) Why different screw sizes? Intended to use M5 set screws on both yokes but broke my M5 tap hence reason for M6 on yoke that connects to steering rack.

2) How are the set screws fixed? Loctite 243 and their torque.

3) How are the bearing caps preloaded? I knocked dome shaped dimples into the locking plates. Had to adjust their depth when assembling. Used a wee hammer for that.

Thread Information