+ Reply to Thread

Default 451 Smart Cdi 54 HP - A real Boneshaker

Just had a 54 HP Smart in for repairs. DPF too sooted to regenerate and faulty temperature sensor, the one fitted in exhaust.

Replaced temperature sensor and went for a drive to do a forced regeneration of DPF.

What a bloody noisy car and boneshaker. My 450 Cdi is whisper quiet and comfortable like a Rolls Royce compared to the 451.

Powerful engine though, more so than mine but not significantly more. Also, not cheap motoring like mine. Temperature sensor alone was 70 from Mercedes.

Default Re: 451 Smart Cdi 54 HP - A real Boneshaker

I could agree with that. They are not as good a car as the 450 by a long way. I have never driven a 450 diesel though but I hope it is the wheels which is why I intend to stick some narrow ones on mine when I get a round tuit.

Pronounced turbo whistle too, tractor like idle and annoying road noise. This 451 has standard tyres and standard suspension. Perhaps the road noise is tyre related. In my 450 Cdi there is no road noise but then I roll on the cheapest tyres money can buy - Rotalla Setula. Paid only 28 each for the rear ones 175/55R15 shipping included.

Idle on mine is good, not really discernible as a diesel and in truth I like to hear the turbo spool up and down.

When I bought my 45/451 brand new in 2009 , I happened to look over the shiny new engine compartment..... and I just loved the mechanism noises of the brand new engine.
    It was like slick clockwork...
    fq101.co.uk

Forgot to state this particular 451 Cdi had been to 2 local garages before finally arriving at the not for profit Banchory Smart Centre charity where I am owner, director and sole mechanic. Charged 2 pub pints total for the job plus parts at cost.

Thread Information