+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brake issues

Unhappy Brake issues

Hi guys and gals.
    Rupert, my wife’s smart 450 has some braking issues.
    When braking, it seams like it’s all or nothing. Not smooth or progressive.
    There’s plenty of wear left on the pads and on the rear drums.
    Now... when you brake the handbrake light comes on and will stay on for a while after you have stopped braking. No beep beep beep noise like you get it you leave handbrake on.
    Looking at the past MOTs on .gov website it seems that the car has had issues in the past.
    It says “Nearside rear brake application uneven (3.7.B.2)” which was a fail or before that “Rear Brakes imbalanced requirements only just met. It would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair.” Which was an advisory.
    Sorry for the long post but any ideas anyone? Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Brake issues

• Confirm Brake Fluid level
    • Check for leaks
    • When was the system last bled? (or fluid completely changed)

The brakes are only tested to be of a certain level (based on other wheels) on the MOT, if it passes that threshold then it passes, if it's borderline then you get an advisory.
    the braking effort from any wheel is less than 70% of the maximum effort recorded from the other wheel on the same axle. Or in the case of testing on the road, the vehicle deviates excessively from a straight line
    the braking effort from any wheel is less than 50% of the maximum effort recorded from the other wheel on a steered axle

I'd be opening up the rears, confirming operation visually and servicing (and replacing where required)
    Same on fronts.

You can't spend too much on the brakes of a car
    Last edited by TheAlmostInvisibleMan; 13th September 2018 at 08:03.
    fq101.co.uk

The need for having powerful fully working brakes can never be sufficiently over emphasised.

Quote Originally Posted by Brindley
    Now... when you brake the handbrake light comes on and will stay on for a while after you have stopped braking. No beep beep beep noise like you get it you leave handbrake on.

Sounds like the brake fluid level warning to me. When did you last check the level in the reservoir?

If the level is low and the pads/shoes are in good condition then you probably have a leak. Leaking rear slave cylinders are common and would also give the brake imbalance noted on your MOT.
    Last edited by mikerj; 13th September 2018 at 14:00.

Thank you all!

I checked the brake fluid reservoir and well... It wasn’t there where it should be. The bracket that it clips onto has broken and it was dangling down kinking the tubing. I will be sorting it out tomorrow but just to try it out I wedged it in place and in the correct upright position and all is back to normal! Whoop! Thank you again everyone.

Quick question... does anybody know what the black plastic box the the reservoir clips on to is and what goodies it contains?
    Last edited by Brindley; 13th September 2018 at 19:29.

The joys of aged vehicle ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by Brindley View Post
    Thank you all!

I checked the brake fluid reservoir and well... It wasn’t there where it should be. The bracket that it clips onto has broken and it was dangling down kinking the tubing. I will be sorting it out tomorrow but just to try it out I wedged it in place and in the correct upright position and all is back to normal!

Quick question... does anybody know what the black plastic box the the reservoir clips on to is and what goodies it contains?
    Pic ?
    fq101.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Brindley View Post
    Thank you all!

I checked the brake fluid reservoir and well... It wasn’t there where it should be. The bracket that it clips onto has broken and it was dangling down kinking the tubing. I will be sorting it out tomorrow but just to try it out I wedged it in place and in the correct upright position and all is back to normal! Whoop! Thank you again everyone.

Black box is air inlet for cabin heater.

Thread Information