+ Reply to Thread

Default Anyone had a leak here?

Anyone had evidence of water ingress like in the photo?

Had a good look through the fq101 and evilution stuff but can't seem to find anything in those areas.

It's both sides right at the bottom of the door, running into the footwell. Quite a bit of water by the look of it. (I know these things are prone but I have been through everything except getting the window rebonded, which I will hopefully get done in the next couple of weeks.
    Attached Images

Default Re: Anyone had a leak here?

Simple answer: - Yes!

It is a known leak area, Various cures have been put forward, which one will work for you? Who knows?

Put some tape over the hole up near the wing mirror on the forward facing edge of the door.
    Another is to put a piece of tubing inside the door seal to bulk it back up to a "non quished! shape.
    Buy new door seal rubbers.
    Check your door hinges for play and readjust if the door has dropped a bit.

John

Awesome nice one!
    Forgot to say I have done the tape over the bolt thing...

Will check hinges for play tomorrow.

Will have a look at a tubing option or seal replacement too, have you done the tubing option? If so, what did you use?

Cheers!

I had this on both doors too, replaced the door seals and problem solved. Think you can buy some spray to revive old seals.

Where did you get the seals from berty?

Just bought universal ones off ebay, i cant find the exact item on ebay. I think Mercedes of newcastle also sell them. If your gonna go the universal way just measure the dimensions of yours. I bought the door seal and a z type door seal separately to match the same profile.

I would try some door seal reviver first, they just lose their stickiness over time and dry out.

They do feel really dry, Gummi pfledge sort of stuff?
    Last edited by Karlos28; 9th September 2018 at 22:46.

Yeh, its worth a try. I tried the plumping up old seals with tubing but the water still managed to get in. Mine were dry and flattened where the door closes on them thats why i just replaced them.

Stick some cloths under the carpet after youve tried the reviver, hopefully theyll stay dry.

Yeah got to be worth a try first, I'll pick some up after hols.

If no good, new seals I think. How come you bought 2 seals? Can't figure where your z seal is going?

The original smart one has a squarish part which goes over the seam, tubular part then around the top down to the mirror area it has a extra lip for the window to press up against. None of the universal ones i could find had the extra lip. The z seal just went round there with 3m tape backing. You dont need it, just looks a bit odd with a gap around the window.

Thread Information