+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Technique for changing the Front Engine Mount on a 450 anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen123 View Post
    I would just drop subframe enough to provide access and place trolley jack under bell housing. Then you have good access and the whole front mount can be changed easily from above.
    Is that above, as in thorough the engine inspection hole in the boot floor, or above as in reaching up over the subframe from underneath?

If I move the longer subframe bolts from the back to the front then will that give me enough room to get access? Thanks!

Access is from above and below. Therefore advisable to raise car high so you get sufficient clearance below to work.

Default Technique for changing the Front Engine Mount on a 450 anybody?

Managed it. Awkward is not the word. Dropped the subframe, moving the rear bolts to the front, and let it all down slowly on the jack. Sticking a wooden post at the back of the subframe stops the rear going too far: A/C makes it more tricky. Was able to reach down from the top and once the O/S arch liner is removed, then access from the side is also possible. Glad I did it as the clonk when taking up drive has gone. Old engine mount was totally knackered as you can see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not too difficult was it? Easy for those that are sufficiently Smart.

Placing rear long bolts into forward subframe fixing points and wooden sticks at rear end was the method I employed over many years until I received a useful gift.

Somebody managed to get the lowering bolts FOC from his friendly Smart dealer in Aberdeen:

These lowering bolts really do not need to be that long for most required work.

Default Technique for changing the Front Engine Mount on a 450 anybody?

A useful tool. I tried getting some of these from my local MB dealer in Guildford to be told “no, sorry sir, company policy, we can’t supply any tools”. Clearly guarding their revenue stream.

Wasn’t too difficult, more fiddly. I left the bracket fixed to the engine in place and just swapped the part that holds the rubber to the subframe. I will see if I can get a length of steel bar and then cut that to length. With a nut on the end and they should be as good as a bolt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smart Stuff used to sell them for a very reasonable price but now out of stock.
    Still available on EBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smart-Mot...wAAOSwg65bq5R-

Expensive postage at nearly £14.

Thread Information