+ Reply to Thread

Default Technique for changing the Front Engine Mount on a 450 anybody?

Next job, which I have been putting off....

Done the rears - easy peasy. But the front. OMG. There's a brilliant article on Evilution, but then I looked at mine and immediately thought 'you have got to be F'ing kidding me'! If.. I had arms like 'Mr Tickle' and an E14 ratchet spanner, then maybe, just possibly....

But back in the real world, I've ordered myself an E14 Torx ratchet spanner and set of torx spanners. The Mr Tickle arms might be a challenge. Even my daughter has no chance. So, what to do?

I have a Mk7 700cc 450, with Aircon and anti-roll bar just to make it even harder. I'm thinking to remove the bolt through the front mount then I can lower the front of the engine on the jack. Remove the handbrake cables. Then probably slacken the subframe bolts and try and lower the subframe at the front. If I also take the OS wheel arch liner out, then maybe I can just squeeze an arm in and, with my new ratchet spanner, 1/4 drive or 3/8 drive ratchet with torx/or ordinary bits and some sweat, get enough purchase to undo the bolts that are holding the mount to the subframe/gearbox.

I've got the new engine mount. It's just sitting there in the shed, grinning at me every time I see it. Evil little b*stard!

Default Re: Technique for changing the Front Engine Mount on a 450 anybody?

Don't bother changing the part of the bracket that bolts to the engine; provided it's not damaged or badly rusted leave it in place and re-use it with the rest of the new mount. This makes the entire job much easier.

I would just drop subframe enough to provide access and place trolley jack under bell housing. Then you have good access and the whole front mount can be changed easily from above.

Wonder why you are changing engine mounts. Mine is from 2002, has done almost 250,000 and still running on the original mounts. Diesel as well hence vibrates more but still the mounts are in a very good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolsen
    Wonder why you are changing engine mounts. Mine is from 2002, has done almost 250,000 and still running on the original mounts. Diesel as well hence vibrates more but still the mounts are in a very good condition.
    1) The diesel uses a heavy duty mounting.
    1) Despite its lower peak torque, the lower gearing of the superior petrol engine means the torque reaction is higher than the diesel in every gear.

The diesel mount fits the petrol engine AFAIK and should last longer, though probably at the cost of some increased vibration.

Quote Originally Posted by mikerj View Post
    1) The diesel uses a heavy duty mounting.
    1) Despite its lower peak torque, the lower gearing of the superior petrol engine means the torque reaction is higher than the diesel in every gear.

The diesel mount fits the petrol engine AFAIK and should last longer, though probably at the cost of some increased vibration.
    Not entirely true. Comparing the 450 diesel with a 61HP petrol you will find the diesel is the winner.

Looks like the Smart to have is the 2006 model.

Fair point, did a few quick calcs with the wrong torque value I found on google! The petrol is still better though

But the diesel is a lot queter and much lighter on my pocket book especially on fuel.

But mostly superior because it is diesel, end of.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen123 View Post
    The existing ones have done 78K and are knackered. If I remove the engine hatch and prop the carpet up, I can see the engine thrashing about on every gear change. I also get a dull thud every time drive is taken up. The rear left wasn't bad but he rear right had the rubber coming away. The front one is junk.

Thread Information